Difference between 4x4 and 2x4 for towing

It shouldn't affect the way the vehicle handles or drives at all while pulling. If your going by the book with trailering weight, you won't be able to tow as much with a 4x4 because of the additional weight of the front diff. and a transfer case. My .02.

the extra weight of the 4x4 dose cost you some towing capacity,

but i can't tell you how many times we will be at a mx track and it starts to rain and flood the pits and you better have 4x4 or you ain't getting out,

i can't tell you how many times i have to pull my 40' unit out , then Dolly down and un hook and pull all the 2x2 trucks and trailers out of the slop .

what you don't understand is , take my truck ---

i have 2 d-max allison's

one is a 2x2 and one is a4x4,

they both can be 12,000 lbs on the truck and they can both pull a total of 24,000 lbs of truck cargo and trailer combined.

the 4x4 truck alone weights 8,200 lbs

the 2x2 truck alone weights 7,500lbs

so now you see that if my pin weight on my 5er is 4,200 lbs , witch it is some times .

the 4x4 truck is over by 400 lbs and now i am illeagle and if i hit some body i am screwed,

but if i would hook up to the 2x2 i would be 300 lbs under, and if i had an accident i would not be overweight and my insurance would pay if it was my fault !!

all the same equipped trucks are all the same in what they will carry and pull

but if one is way heavier to begin with that truck can't be loaded the same.

so its not that it can't do it or wont do it, its that it is not legal rated to do it and is against the law and you go to jail and have no insurance and get you ass sued off .

well i have always been a diesel guy,

in fact i have my loaned out 78 vw rabbit diesel on my rack right now for service ?

and i have some gas stuff i use , but for the racing life when you haul stuff all the time , the diesel is the only way to go.

my old lady drives a tdi vw beetle and the thing will kill anthing on the road and it never get less than 42 mpg, most of the time its around 50, my rabbit will get 60 all the time, it has over 400.000 on the dam thing.

i have a jetta tdi thats got 160.000 on it and it still rips and gets 45 all the time.

in fact i was the idiot that took a 80 chevy 1 ton and installed a diesel and a allison in 81 and used that thing, it was cool

then i retro-ed a suburban in 86 and ran that truck with a diesel allison for years.

if you pull they are the way to go , and now they also haul ass and are like a Cadillac for comfort, and the newer software for the allison is really bitchen and works better than you could ever shift a handshaker.

so yes i love them , if you got one you would not be sorry ?

i have 2 d-max allison's

they both can be 12,000 lbs on the truck and they can both pull a total of 24,000 lbs of truck cargo and trailer combined.

so now you see that if my pin weight on my 5er is 4,200 lbs , witch it is some times .

the 4x4 truck is over by 400 lbs and now i am illeagle and if i hit some body i am screwed,

but if i would hook up to the 2x2 i would be 300 lbs under, and if i had an accident i would not be overweight and my insurance would pay if it was my fault !!

so its not that it can't do it or wont do it, its that it is not legal rated to do it and is against the law and you go to jail and have no insurance and get you ass sued off .

You cannot explain towing weights to these guys, the ones that run to glamis are the worst. They just ignore you. Hell if you wanna run over weight and risk the accident, then go ahead. Just remember you will lose everything and I mean everything.

i have 2 d-max allison's

Hey Kelstr, what body style is your 4x4? I've always wondered how much more the diesel weighs. Sounds like it must be a dually. My 2500HD crew, 4x4, 6.0L weighs 6000lbs.