A true nightmare with my WR426!!!!!

This weekend I went riding with TT local "SoCal Ron". Needless to say we had a great day of riding, the dirt was brown and loamy with absolutly not dust at all!!! Overall a great day!!!!!

Then..................

On the way home from the ride my friend who was driving all of the sudden swerved the van (and trailer) and said "OH SH@#$%" It turns out that my new WR was being dragged behind the trailer with sparks flying everywhere only held on by a single tie-down.

:D :eek ?

We managed to pull to the side of the freeway to pick up the piece of metal off on the ground, I felt sick to my stomach. Just think I had just broken it in. It turned out to be a snapped Ancra tie-down that I poorly routed through my buddy's DRZ and had managed to cut it self. I will have to buy new protapers,peg,perch,lever,handguards and some plastic. I think I got lucky considering the thing could of easily been launched into traffic and killed some one. Note to self, double up on tie-downs and really think about where to route them..... Dan

Oh Noooo!

Dan, first of all I wanted to say we (Brent & I) had an outstanding time yesterday. Thanks again for letting us ride with you guys. I hope we can do it again soon.

About your WR - What a bummer. I hope the damage was limited to inexpensive stuff. Now I'm glad we did not join you for beers afterwards, I don't know if I could have handled seeing such a thing happen.

I forgot to ask you something: What bend are, ah - were, the Pro-Tapers on your bike. I really liked them. Much taller than the set I have.

Good luck getting it back together!

damn, that sucks! I just got a new 250f and I can't imagine how bad I would feel if that happened to my new bike.

My XR400 fell off a trailer and got dragged last year when a tie down slipped. Luckily the guy driving the truck was paying attention and saw it start to fall and was able to stop before any damage occurred.

BUMMER, get ahold of Two-Dads, they have a good stock of used stuff, you might be able to save some bucks.

I was amazed at the fact an Ancra tie down broke, but I guess we all need to be careful of our routing.

Thanks for the info and sorry about your baby.

Bill

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

Guys.. Thanks for the responses, I think I might have a sickness, because I cant wait to buy new stuff for my bike. Since I broke the pirch and lever I was forced to buy the Hebo clutch from the nice people at erider. You really cant beat $166.00 for a juice clutch...

Ron, The bars I have (had) are Doug Henry's bend turned way up, I feel this gives me the most control. See ya Dan

Dan

i've had it happen to me nearly exactly the same. twenty years ago my pull downs were the sprung claw type & the claws had obviously become matted unbeknown to me.

i was driving along & said to myself "oh look there's your bike on it's side on the road mmmmm"

"**** , THAT'S MY BIKE ON IT'S SIDE ON THE ROAD"!!!

blamed myself, reloaded & it fell off again at the entrance to the circuit over the speed bumps.

turned out the 'claws' were blocked with the matting.

hard luck mate.

no sarcasm, no jokes. good luck.

Taffy

Sorry to hear that as I can relate, as it happened to my friends bike which I tied down. Last week I went with the same friend to pick up his new Honda Sabre, I let him tie it down and drive my rig, as I wanted to absolve myself of any resposibility. But its amazing how tough the bikes really are. Good luck and its also a good excuse to buy new trick parts, especially when they are for your bike and not your buddys. I swear by the bike shoe, it gives you piece of mind.

I like to connect 2 bikes together with a strap/cable/Kryptonite lock. This way if one pops loose it can't fall completely off. I have bark busters which makes this easy. Not sure if it works, I haven't had a tie down pop off yet. It does make me feel better. The lock makes it harder for someone to yank the bike out of my truck when it is parked. (I always back into parking spots. It is very easy to transfer a bike from 1 truck to another if the trucks are back to back.)

I also tie off the straps in such a way that if it slips the loose end of the tie down will jam up inside of the clamp. Really miserable when I release tiedown without untieing the strap. ?