Whats going on?

I saw a street legal wr450 today. In California... It was a 2005. If im not mistaken I thought this was impossible??? If it is possible will someone please fill me in on how to do it? The guy was a dick and when i asked him how he got it registered he said, "keep drewling," and drove off. what a bung hole!

I hate schmucks like that. Best guess is he plated it in a different state first, then brought it over...SC

There was a thread a while back that on this very topic. I remember

something about California wouldn't honor out of state plates because of

a certain letter or number in the VIN, regardless of whether or not the bike

has a street title.

Can someone confirm this?

I bet the jerk works at the dmv and made an "exception" for himself. ?

has a street title.

The letter/number is either a 3 or C as the eighth charactor of the VIN. The 05 has an AIS so the eighth has changed. But I thought after 12/31/03 CA was no longer allowing coversions at all??

I thought it was not allowed also, but i guess it is possible to take it out of state, or bring it from out of state already registered and re-register it here. There for its not a "conversion" but an out of state vehicle.

Yeah it's getting tough. He might have gotten around it somehow. But I don't believe that the dmv could refuse a plated bike from out of state. They would have to do the same thing with ALL out of state vehicles then, no matter what they were. ?

I haven't tried it, But maybe he allready had another plated bike that was on the up and up. and he just threw THAT plate on his 05 hoping he wouldn't get pulled over. Ive seen it before ?

I got a CA plate for my 03 by working several loopholes. Loopholes that now are closed. The bunghole guy is probably just as frustrated as I was after going thru the process. My advice is to do a search of the forums on the subject, and call the Dual Sport companies to get the inside scoop on the latest ways to get a plate here in the Republic Of California.

And Arny is from the land of KTM's! He should fix this for us!

I had called a place up north the sells dualsport kits and was told if it's a green sticker bike (no 3 or c in the eighth postion of the VIN) and you know a law enforcement officer who will sign off saying all requirements are met DMV will plate it. He said they use a local Sheff. Who knows, you "hear" a lot of things on this subject.

I've done a little research on it. I even wrote a letter to the Gov. Seems it is air pollution causing all the fuss. It looks like there is no legal loophole. You need an emissions sticker from the dealer stating the bike meets emissions regulations. If you had that sticker you could get the necessary lights and have it signed off with a brake and lamp check. It just seems ironic. In order to cut down on emissions, I have to load my bike in a truck that gets 11 miles to the gallon in order to get to the trails. I'll post the letter but I haven't given up yet. There are people here that seem to know everything. I would welcome any corrections or direction. I believe we can fix this.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger

State Capitol Building

Sacramento, Ca 95814

05/31/2005

RE: Dual Registration Policy

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

I purchased a 2001 Yamaha wr426 this past summer. It was a reward for a goal I set several years back. I purchased the bike to ride primarily in the mountains. I have spent a lot of time in the Sierra Nevada mountains serving 2 years on the Sierra National Forest Fire Crew.

I was shocked at the change in laws regarding dual registered bikes. I did some research and found it difficult to see the justification for the change. For instance:

1. According to the California Air Resources Board(CARB), street bikes emitted only six one thousands of one percent of the emissions generated by all on-road motor vehicles.

2. The industry estimates that there are 4,000-5,000 new California “dual registered” vehicles annually. The majority of dual sport riders ride less than 500 miles a year and 55% of the annual miles are ridden outside of California.

3. Now, because of this law, riders must load their bike into a truck that inevitably causes more of an impact on emissions than their bike would have.

4. California would benefit from an increase in registration fees for dual sport bikes.

5. The DMV and CHP already have procedures in place for dual registration.

I respectfully request that you consider this matter. There seems to be very little negative impact to our air quality, yet a 25 year old law was changed.

Sincerely,

Brian Ruff

1685 Dennis

Clovis, California 93611

im sending my bike out to my parents house in alabama, where my dad is gonna get it plated, so ill just be driving around cali, with a bama plate...this is what the dealer told me to do, and its wat he did with his...so we'll see what happens......also, ive herd certain mountain communities in california have different smog and registration laws *cough* mt. shasta *cough* p.o. box, spend a week up there very nice place to vacation and ride, and take it to the dmv up there. might wanna look into it.

has a street title.

I of know someone here in Santa Barbara with a new KTM EXC that successfully went through the complete process approx. 6 months ago. I am 2 weeks away from trying my luck with my '01 YZ426f. I've heard such conflicting info on the subject that until I am successful, I won't create any more confusion.

At this point the only thing I know is that I anticipate spending about $1500 (kit, stator, DOT tires, possibly quieter exhaust) the other $750 is for the bribe.

? ....a couple of links that may add to the confusion:

www.electrosport.com/images/dakar.reg.pdf

www.joeracerproducts.com

Good Luck

This is from the DMV website. At one time I had read that CA was only allowing conversions until 12/31/03 but I can't find anything on it now??

The California Air Resources Board (ARB) established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with 1978-year models. Off-highway motorcycles must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use when converting to on-highway or dual registration. Registration guidelines for off-highway motorcycles converting to on-highway or dual registration require verification of the emission label.

Off-highway motorcycles previously converted to on-highway or dual registration will not be subject to verification. Off-highway motorcycles year model 2003 and newer with a red sticker will not be allowed to convert.

NOTE: ATV OHVs cannot be originally registered for on highway use or converted to on-highway registration, regardless of aftermarket conversion kits or added equipment.

Please direct questions regarding emission certification or labeling to the California Air Resources Board at 1-800-242-4450 or visit their website at www.arb.ca.gov.

• 1 year later...