TommyB 754

xr200 locked up

15 posts in this topic

I recently bought a xr200, it was low on compression but still ran fine once you got it started and kept the rpms up. Ran good, went to start it back up, had to keep the throttle wide open to keep it going and would just barely say running with it wide open. held it wide open thinking it maybe had got flooded but I finally let it die. When to kick start it a few minutes later and it's locked up, can't kick it over. Now this is my first fourstroke and need a heads up on tearing into it. I will be tearing into it in about a week and I'm hoping it just needs a bore, piston and new cam chain. I've never ever worked on a 4 stroke before, and i'm hessitant about the cam chain and valves. Any pointers? Do you think it's just the top end or could the crank have gone out?

Could the cam chain have caused any major damage or is that area pretty much bullet proof?

The cam chain was loose and noisy before it died.

also could the cam chain have caused it to lock up? I was riding it rather hard on motocross track. I'm a four stroke newbie so all this is foriegn to me.

possibly the cam chain fell off, which would cause it to lock up, or the piston/valves crashed, or it's seized (ceased??)

The rod bearings on my 86 Suzuki Lt 230s quadsport (4 stroke) locked the motor up.3 days later I started getting a loud kncoking noise in the motor of my TTR 125.I have no idea what is wrong with it though.Your top end probably needs bored,new piston,new rings, new cam chain,new gaskets,and you should be ready to ride.

it sounds like it was running lean. i wonder if any mods were done before you purchased it. might wanna take a look at the carb after you rebuild her.

My xr200 just locked up...lame! it's a 83 motor maybe bottom rebuilt in 86 . anyway after running for about 2mins of riding after warmed up it will lock up. then come loose after cooling down.Topend is new.thinking maybe mains or rod bearing.

Probably low on oil and cam seized in the head, if so engine is toast.

Idk,I change the oil after every ride with maybe only 45min max time per ride. just pulled motor,will know shortly.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, steffyboy said:

Idk,I change the oil after every ride with maybe only 45min max time per ride. just pulled motor,will know shortly.

show us a picture of the cam journal.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:11 PM, steffyboy said:

I've heard of people changing oil after every ride, but that's usually hours of hard riding. 

Changing oil on an XR200 after only 45 minutes of riding is a bit overkill and just throwing money away. 

Shit, start pouring that oil into a clean 5gal bucket, when it's full lemme know, I'll take it. That'd keep me in good oil for a year or 2 with as little as I get to ride. 

Just wait til you get this issue figured out, i don't want metal shavings in it :ride:

3 hours ago, steffyboy said:

it's a race bike. nothing stock about it. Gets ran hard. 

Ok, so this "race bike", had the bottom end rebuilt when it was 3 years old, but over the last 32 years has been perfect, til now? Interesting 

Doesn't sound like it's a stroker engine or high compression fully built engine with head work or anything else. 

If it's locking up after a couple minutes of riding, you're obviously going to have to tear the engine apart to find the problem. At a minimum pull the top end off, but probably split the cases. Because it doesn't sound like a minor problem. 

All any of us on here can do without pictures is speculate and give possible scenarios and things to look at. 

Btw, unless you run that bike without an air filter, you couldn't run an XR200 engine hard enough in 45 minutes to break down or ruin fresh oil