Gear Changes??

Just took my 05 KXF on the local MX track for the first time. As expected, the suspension was pretty rough in the choppy stuff. I had read about that even before I purchased the bike, so it was no big surprise. However, what I didn't expect, was how low geared this thing is from the factory. I ran mostly in 4th and 5th and was looking for another gear on many parts of the track. I imagine on a tight "night track" it would be about right. But I run mostly larger day tracks with big table tops and a few good straights. Could be that I'm just not reving it high enough, but it feels like it could easily pull a taller gear. I'm just curious if most people are changing the sprockets or sticking with what came on the bike. Pretty sure factory setting is 13/48.

I went down 1 tooth on the back and I like it. I ride mostly in 4th and 3rd in tight sections of the track.

How big are you? Because the 250 are made for like 130-200 if your bigger and wanting a little more power you might consider the YZ400, Its an older model but it has a lot of power but not too much like the 450 and its got some major top speed/reliability.

I can't tell you whether or not you're revving too low or high based on what you have said. It'd really be great if you got an audio clip, then def we could help you out.

I have the same problem...I was on a tight sx style track on my '04 rmz that i just got. I was in 3rd, 4th, and sometimes even 5th on straights. It always feels like it can pull a taller gear. I do have to do some suspension work to fix some of that stiffness in choppy stuff, considering I am 145lbs, so it throws me around quite a bit. For the gearing ill go down one tooth on the rear and try that. I think I'll send my suspension off somewhere to get it revalved. Probably factory connection.

Just have to put in my input. I rode with OLDSLOWMXER the other night on the night track. It is geared great for a tight MX course. I was on a 450 myself, and had to run in 2-3 gear most of the time.

How big are you? Because the 250 are made for like 130-200 if your bigger and wanting a little more power you might consider the YZ400, Its an older model but it has a lot of power but not too much like the 450 and its got some major top speed/reliability.

I tip the scales at a pinch over 200 with my gear on. Power doesn't seem to be the issue, I'm more than satisfied with that, and don't want to ride something heavier. Just seems like I run out of top speed on the longer tracks because I get to 5th gear so quickly. However, I rode a really tight Arena Cross style track last week and could not have been happier with the setup. I suppose I'll just have to change sprockets on the rear and go down a tooth or two for the longer tracks.

put a six gear in it

i hope the 06s arent like that

OK so i decided to gear my 05' down to a 46 in the back. After i ride it i will post how it did and what kind of track i was on. I rode one other KXF w/ a 46 on the back an i liked it. I usually ride faster tracks with longer straight aways that allow me to hit 5th gear with my stock gearing.

I have an 04 kx250f, i have a pro circuit head pipe and a quickshot accelerator pump cover, with more bottom end, i found the gears didn't pull long enough so i put a 14 in the front (1 tooth in the front is like 3 in the back) now it's a F%@$# rocket! and it's easy to change, if your going from say a long track to a shorter one.