04 525 weak I need more

I have a new 525 exc about 200 miles on it now, I need more power anyone have any ideas or tried anything that works, exhaust, powernow kit or anything. I ride tight eastcoast trails up in maine and its pretty snotty and the big pumkin shines in the tough stuff but it doesn't have the pull of my 380 exc. After all the hype of the 525 being a man killer I was really expecting more power, after 3rd gear she getts pretty weak. So if anyone has any ideas thanks!!! ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried all of the usual bolt on stuff (pipe, Vortex ignition, lighter flywheel, etc.) without much improvement.

The stock cam and compression ratio (11:1) are the limiting factors. I installed a 12.5:1 Wiseco piston and Hotcam 525 grind camshaft and those two simple changes really woke the bike up. No loss of bottom but a huge increase in mid to top. I highly recommend these mods. There cheap also. I did all of the work myself so labor wasn't an issue. The piston kit, cam and gaskets came to $350. You'll need the KTM cam chain tool or equiv. to do the work and they're not cheap. I got the KTM tool for $130.

This was my first KTM topend and I'd have to say that it's a little more complicated than the jap stuff so if you have any doubts about your mechanical ability, take it to an expert.

John

I have a new 525 exc about 200 miles on it now, I need more power anyone have any ideas or tried anything that works, exhaust, powernow kit or anything. I ride tight eastcoast trails up in maine and its pretty snotty and the big pumkin shines in the tough stuff but it doesn't have the pull of my 380 exc. After all the hype of the 525 being a man killer I was really expecting more power, after 3rd gear she getts pretty weak. So if anyone has any ideas thanks!!! ?

Man, that's wierd how you say it gets weak after third gear. On my 525, it pulls HARD in every gear. I'm getting a pro-circuit t-4 exhaust on saturday from the TT store, PM me if later you're interested in knowing how it performs compared to stock.

mjlang,

How is your husabergfe650 racing through tight woods?

How does it compare to your ktm 450 ?

I have a exc525 and was thinking of maybe the fe 550.

Cheers

I have an Australian dirt bike mag and they compared the all three bikes (450, 550, & 650). All of the test riders liked the 550 the best.

I don't have a lot of tight trail experience with the 650. I ride my KTM for that stuff, it's a lot faster in the tight stuff. I don't think power is the key in the woods.

The Husaberg is still the fastest dirtbike I've ever ridden. It's insane...

MAN IS THAT THING LOUD!
Doesn't that tell you something???? Loud pipes have no future in this sport and are just plain irresponsible. ??:D:D

This is particularly so when you can get the likes of the LeoVince systems which give you a bit more go AND are quieter than stock.

End of sermon,

Muzza

Doesn't that tell you something???? Loud pipes have no future in this sport and are just plain irresponsible. ?:D:D:D

This is particularly so when you can get the likes of the LeoVince systems which give you a bit more go AND are quieter than stock.

End of sermon,

Muzza

I was waiting for a response like that :D

So you guys over in Zimbabwe have sound issues too eh? 70% of the people are in poverty and 70% are unemployed, yet they worry about noise issues?

And by the way, I'm getting a quiet core insert, so you can stop lecturing me ?

I have an Australian dirt bike mag and they compared the all three bikes (450, 550, & 650). All of the test riders liked the 550 the best.

I don't have a lot of tight trail experience with the 650. I ride my KTM for that stuff, it's a lot faster in the tight stuff. I don't think power is the key in the woods.

The Husaberg is still the fastest dirtbike I've ever ridden. It's insane...

the power of the 525 is so mellow that it feels way slower than a 450 honda. my brother has a 2005 525sx and it feels slower than my honda because the power flatens out hella quick

SORRY MX dirtbikes were never ment for fat people in excess of 200lbs

heck they come set up for a 160lbs person so maybe if you shed the girth and take a large scat you may go faster.

It's not only MX bikes that aren't setup for fat people...My 525 was set for a 140 pound person from the factory ? How many 140 pounders do you see on a 525...come on now...