How many V-Strom owners here?

I have a DL1000, 2002 Yellow. Yes 2002 Yellow. It was blue before an encoutner with a large buck this spring. I love the 1000, but eventualy I may go for the 650. I want a yellow one with an adjustable windsreen. I have rode this type of bike for a while with a 1989 Honda Transalp. ??

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing I want to know is ... why the cast wheels ? Surely even on good dirt roads they will take a hammering, and if you rather stick to the road what's the purpose of the bike then ? Oy yeah the ground clearance is also lacking. I'm sure they are great bikes but I have always wondered just what you can do on them compared to a real tourer like a VFR800 ? The twin is problaly thirsty too ?

Well for me, I have no illusions about the DL1000 being any kind of a dirt bike. It's not advertised as one either. Sure I like doing back roads, but to me it's just a great all round real world bike. First thing that attracted me was it's height as I'm 6'6". It's upright ergonomics just make sense. It's longer suspension soaks up the rough roads, wash board and light trail duty if you're so inclined.

Even if I could ride a sportbike, it wouldn't be comfortable for touring. And I have no interest in a 2 wheeled couch.

It is definately a very comfortable riding position!!!

My V-strom is for the road only and my DRZ is for the dirt and dualsport.

I agree that cast wheels are not ideal for the dirt. The oil cooler is also in a very vunerable position.

Has anyone ridden their strom on a long range dirt trip. Maybe to Baja.

I've had a TL1000S for the last 7 years. The Suzuki twin sounds positively righteous with a set of free flowing cans on it. I believe 2 Brothers makes them for the 'Strom. My friend had a 'Strom and let me take a spin on it. I was very impressed. The only mods I would make are the exhaust cans and lowering the gearing. My TLS is geared tall, the 'Strom is ridiculously tall. Slap a 16T front sprocket on there ?

Ironically, the Strom probably wheelies better with the tall gearing. First on the Strom is about halfway between 1st and 2nd on my TLS. First gear wheelies are a bit tricky on my TL, you can wind up wearing the bike as a hat. Going for it in 2nd is a bit difficult due to the higher road speed. Like the 3 bears story, first on the DL is about right for wheelies :D

I think the DL would function better overall and 6th would be usable at something resembling legal road speeds with shorter gearing though. My TLS became really "interesting" when I geared it down. So what if it no longer will go 155 and only does 140 mph now. It is ferociously more fun at everyday lower speeds and I really don't need to be going 155 mph anyway ?

I run 17/42 (stock is 17/38) gearing on my TLS and it is flat out perfect. I like the bigger 17T as opposed to a 16T front sprocket on the TL and gear down with the rear as it helps keep the chain off the buffer. Dunno if the DL has this issue. Probably not. Suzuki fixed a lot of crap by the time they got to the DL. ?

i always balked at the dl1000, to me it looked like big clumsy tank. that was until i took one for a test ride at a local dealership. i found this bike to be really nimble once yer feet left the ground, and talk about a comfortable ride. my only complaint was with the wind buffeting at higher speeds. i will def buy one of these bikes in the near future, as i have already warned the wife, that another girlfriend is moving in the garage. thank god she rides also, because i already have a cbr 954, and the drz400. ?

Wind buffeting is a problem for me too. I've changed my windscreen and got maybe a 20% improvement. I was looking for better than that.

I've heard of strommers changing out 3-4 screems before returning to stock.

Get the DL650 with bags and you'll love it for epic journeys and highway twisties. I love mine! I had to get the Pat Walsh engine guards with bash plate for the inevitable gravel road explorations. But when I am doing those long interstate runs between secondary roads, heres' what goes through my head when I look off to the side at that skidder trail weaving along beside me:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~sv650/Frame%20Enduro.html

I figure when I find a used SV, maybe with a little front end damage, I gotta do it!

?

Looking through other pictures of the V-Strom and I think they are pretty cool - bet they are fun to take on long trips.... Cool - bikes - what do they go for?

DIRZS - Holy shit - that picture is cool...

gas4.jpg

What is it??????????? That thing is rediculously cool...

I'm sure they are great bikes but I have always wondered just what you can do on them compared to a real tourer like a VFR800 ? The twin is probably thirsty too ?

I had a VFR800 and would never consider it a "tourer" but to each his own I guess. The DL650 gets over 50 mpg. too. ?

I agree that cast wheels are not ideal for the dirt. The oil cooler is also in a very vunerable position.

I thought that too when I bought my 1000 but they are a lot tougher than they appear. I had a good play with mine in the dirt and the worst that come of it was a set of bent pegs (replaced by Fastways which were better anyway).

25476991-M.jpg

25479956-M.jpg

3448445-M.jpg

Has anyone ridden their strom on a long range dirt trip.

I did a few decent dirt runs on mine before I sold it. While it is no dirt bike it is a great bike to explore the country side on. It's surprising where you can get on the thing actually.

25479934-M.jpg

25479918-M.jpg

25480018-M.jpg

25480024-M.jpg

Ive seen those Pics on one of the V-strom forums. What did you do to get it dirt ready, other than tires. Did you change out the wheels or relocate the oil cooler.? I would like to ride from LA to Cabo someday but I was thinking that I

would ride my DRZ or "dirty" bike.