Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about a streetbike

Hey girls, I have never rode a streetbike before but am thinking about posibly getting into that, I was thinking the Ninja 250R. I was wondering how many of you have rode streetbikes and how different they are from dirt bikes. Is that a good size to start on? Any info much appreciated. Thanks.

streetbikes are cool. streetbikes can also be dangerous if you don't ride with alot of focus. unless you're real small, or can get a great deal on a used ninja 250, i would recommend going a little bigger, like ninja 500 or suzuki gs500. the 250 is a little underpowered for hwy use, whereas the 500 will easily handle freeways, traveling, and anything else you can throw at it.

imho, dirtbikers tend to make skilled and prudent street riders. but pay attention.

mw

Sage advice from velosapiens. A little more power to get you around eighteen-wheelers on the highway is a safe thing. I serously thought I was "pancake ingredients" whenever I tried to ride my old underpowered Buell Blast on I-70 over Loveland Pass in Colorado. Oooch.

velosapiens - Thanks for mentioning that vertical rock as the way to get over that cravasse on Gold Spike Trail in Utah. Worked like a charm!

Get a cruiser like a Shadow 600 or 750. It sits very low.

Best of all, it's fun and safe.

Forget those sportbikes.....

I've ridden my share of them. Unless you need to showoff to other guys or chicks, I'd recommend you get a cruiser.

Really for in town riding the very best streetbike you can learn on is a Suzuki SV-650. Incredibly nimble, great looks, smooth throttle bandwidth , and can be had for around 3500 bucks.

Cruisers are good if you like to ride slow. But they are dangerous IMHO. Braking, turning, and overall balance is nothing like a bike made to do those things.

I would stay away from crotchrockets. Get something practical, like the SV.

Ducati makes some interesting looking bikes that are supposed to be extremely nimble, as does Buel.... good luck with it, make sure you get good gear just like dirk biking... gear makes all the difference, good set of leathers a helmet and some good gloves and boots

I have a 2002 GSXR 600, and I love it on both the street and the track. Why dont you take a MSF course? You will learn about street riding, you will ride a little 250, and get your license upon compleation. Once you do that you will know more what you like.

I have been riding the street for a couple of years now... I ride every day to work, rain or shine. While I am one who believes that you can learn to ride on any bike of any size and ride it well, I would still have to agree that FOR MOST PEOPLE starting off on a 250 is a very good thing. I have a good friend who is about 5'9"ish and probably 200 pounds who started on a ninja 250 and he says it was the smartest thing he could have done. He has now moved up to a 600 after about a year of flogging his little 250 and is very happy with the skills that he had to learn in order to ride the 250 well on the streets. I started on a 600 and have never had a problem with feeling like it was too much power, I learned from a great teacher though.

I would definately stay away from cruisers though, for the most part they are definately not well balanced and do not corner very well. It's all about an image and a lifestyle, sorry if that offends anyone, it's just my opinion.

Take the MSF course and then get a bike that you are comfortable on. I like Honda's and I LOVE my F4i!!!!!

I don't think you would be happy with the 250 for long at all. You already have track experience on a good fast bike. You would be seriously disapointed with the 250. I rode a Ninja 500 before buying my MX bike. I found it easy to handle and was not afraid of the bike at all. I now ride my hubby's DRZ650 and enjoy the power. Wish he didn't have that fat butt seat on it though!

the 250 is a little underpowered for hwy use, whereas the 500 will easily handle freeways, traveling, and anything else you can throw at it.

I agree... personally I wouldn't take anything less than a 400 on an expressway.

I rode street for 4 years before dirt, after taking the MSF course (which I highly recommend, if nothing else they let you practice the EXACT skills you need for the street test). My first bike was an old, standard position Nighthawk 650. It was a lot of bike, but not a racing bike, and very managable. I'd look for something like that, with a more neutral riding position, similar to your dirtbike, so you can get comfy and used to riding on the road... between 400 - 650 ccs. Stay away from the 'race bikes' (ex: don't get an R6!!) THEN decide if you lean more toward sportbike or cruiser, when you start shopping for your second bike (probably in a year or two).

Have fun!

:)

DRZ 400 SM with a lowering kit, if you need it, would be a good choice.

Streetbikes are fun, but supermotard is better for getting across town

and more fun in the tight twisties. The upright position is much better IMO.

With 2 sets of rims/tires, and the right gearing the 400 does a lot well.

If your thinking about longer adventure type trips a Vstrom would be nice.

CRF250Girl, what bike do you ride in the dirt now?

A Ninja250 has maybe 25 horsepower. It would probably help to get something around the same power as your dirt bike. Or at least you won't get something smaller.

i too would recomend the sv650, with your dirt exp i'm sure you would quickly outgrow the ninja250. the zuki sv650, is a great all around bike, if you drop it, theres nothing much that breaks , as this is an almost naked bike. it has good power, and the riding position is very comfortable. :)

I agree with most of the posts here. I rode dirt before street and a 250 would have just been painful if you ever need to get on a highway. For the money, the SV650 would be my first street bike if I were buying a new bike right now.

I started my street riding on a used VFR750, and I never had a problem with it being too much power. Since you've ridden dirt bikes before, you are not like the typical new rider who doesn't really understand throttle control and basic motorcycle controls and dynamics.

I agree with others here who have advised you to take the MSF course. I did it and the information I gained was invaluable. I also agree with most of the people here in that cruisers are a lifestyle vehicle, and not really a good choice for safe riding.

Whatever you choose... have fun! I love my street bikes as much or maybe even a little more than my dirt bikes now. :)

If your used to riding a dirt bike go a Motard you'll have a lot of fun and there is nothing better around town! :)

Having owned many cruisers and sport bikes.. I really feel you should ride both and figure out which one works for you. Riding a sport bike can give you a little too much confidence and the next thing you know your laying in a ditch.. (been there done that). That being said I still ride sportbikes because I love the precision control, geometry and throttle response.

Don't rule out the Triumphs.. I have owned 5 in the past and still own a TT600 and ST955.. These bikes have been super reliable and very nimble (knock on wood).

Never posted in Thumpette forum.. I am moving to Arroyo Grande, CA in 2 weeks (just off of Brisco Road) if anyone out there wants to get together for some riding let me know. OR at least let me know of a few good street trips.. I don't know anyone so it will be solo for awhile.

My 2 cents worth. :)

Justducki

Current fleet

2004 Husky TE450 (for sale---for sale)

2003 GasGas FSE400EC

2002 Triumph TT600

2000 Triumph Sprint ST...(still showing road rash)

Never posted in Thumpette forum.. I am moving to Arroyo Grande, CA in 2 weeks (just off of Brisco Road) if anyone out there wants to get together for some riding let me know. OR at least let me know of a few good street trips.. I don't know anyone so it will be solo for awhile.

My 2 cents worth. :D

Justducki

I did the MI to CA move four years ago (moved to LA last year) and I can tell you, you're GOING TO LOVE IT!!! Riding year round, NO SNOW, happy, happy, joy, joy! :D And you are moving to a BEAUTIFUL area, I've only been up there once, but Pismo beach has an awesome off-road riding area (the only one in CA on the beach!) in some beautiful dunes, so keep that Husky and get some sand paddles for it! :)

As far as street riding, I think all you'll need to do is head inland and you'll find some of the most beautiful, twisty roads you can ever imagine... no ditches, though, so be careful! (I went off a 15 foot drop once... luckily it wasn't straight down, and a tree broke my fall! :D )

Good luck with the move! :)

CRF250Girl, what bike do you ride in the dirt now?

A Ninja250 has maybe 25 horsepower. It would probably help to get something around the same power as your dirt bike. Or at least you won't get something smaller.

I am riding a CRF250R right now and I realy like it.

Where can you take the MSF courses at? I will check around on the net and see if I can find anything in my area, I am in So. AZ. Do they have bikes for you to use or do I need to find someone nice enough to let me borrow theirs?

Thank everyone for all the great input much appreciated.

Actually I am thinking about buying a Yamaha R1.. Awesome bike from what I have heard..

And I am scheduled for a MSF in August.. The soonest I could get in! :):)