Sign in to follow this  

1990 DR350 blowing oil out tailpipe!!!WTF!!!

:) I recently bought a 1990 DR350s. When i bought it the guy said that it had been sitting and won't start. It had compression so i bought it anyway, got it home and realized that it had little to no oil in it. Messed with it a little and got it started, but it was blowing oil out of the tailpipe and smoking like crazy.

We proceeded to tear it apart and replaced the piston and rings(figuring it was worn out and blowing oil by). Didn't fix the problem, still blowing oil out of the pipe! Runs fine though!

Anyone got any ideas? Do you think the head is cracked, or could it just be a bad valve or seal? Any help would be great! :):D

Thanks!

Are you sure its not oil left in the pipe from the blow by?

With a new piston & rings installed it's not there. The valve seals are the other area oil can come in from but rarely in large amounts. A cracked head would pressurize the crankcase and blow oil out the breather hose. It could be as pobo said, the pipe could be loaded up with oil and it's burning as it gets hot. Take the pipe off the bike and clean it out with a strong degreasing detergent to see if that helps.

Greg

:)

It seems like it is too much oil for it to just be residue in the pipe, plus after we run it there seems to be oil coming out where the exhaust mounts to the head (out onto the cooling fins)

......so last night we tore it back apart and i guess that i'm going to replace the valves and seals....i'm not really sure how to tell for sure where the oil is coming from? Any ideas? :)

Thanks!

Here's an idea. This may sound really stupid, but I'm just throwing things out there. Is the gas in the tank fresh straight gas? Could maybe someone (previous owner) mistakenly thought the bike was a 2 stroke and oiled the gas?

Just throwing wild cards!

Later

That's not a bad idea! I'll have to check the gas. Might be something just that simple!...I Hope

I have the same bike and experienced a very similar problem. When I first got bike (used), I was not very familiar with how to check the engine oil (being a dry sump engine) on this bike. I took out the oil dip stick and it was dry, so I filled it with oil (about a quart). When I started it, it smoked like crazy. I immediately shut off the engine and drained out the extra quart of motor oil I put in. I started it again and the engine stopped smoking. I never had this smoke problem again. The lesson I learned is that after the bike has been sitting for long time, the oil in the reservoir somehow drains into the engine, giving an incorrect oil level reading using the dipstick. You need to check the oil level after the engine has been running to get a proper oil level reading. It is very easy to over-fill the oil reservoir causing the engine to smoke. I hope your problem is as simple as the one I experienced.

This is the reason I just joined this website. I too bought a used dr350. No oil showing on the dip stick. I overfilled. Oil blew out the breather and exhaust. Drained oil. However I don't know how much will fill it. Anybody have the manual?

could be stuff left in the exhaust as stated before. i used seafoam through the prime hose the other day and let it set for 20 mins.. the bike was smoking for 2 miles

The proper oil level check is to run the bike till warm, shut it off, then let it sit for a couple of minutes, then check it.

I have the same bike and experienced a very similar problem. When I first got bike (used), I was not very familiar with how to check the engine oil (being a dry sump engine) on this bike. I took out the oil dip stick and it was dry, so I filled it with oil (about a quart). When I started it, it smoked like crazy. I immediately shut off the engine and drained out the extra quart of motor oil I put in. I started it again and the engine stopped smoking. I never had this smoke problem again. The lesson I learned is that after the bike has been sitting for long time, the oil in the reservoir somehow drains into the engine, giving an incorrect oil level reading using the dipstick. You need to check the oil level after the engine has been running to get a proper oil level reading. It is very easy to over-fill the oil reservoir causing the engine to smoke. I hope your problem is as simple as the one I experienced.

The exact same thing happened to me!!!

According to the Suzuki DR350 owner's manual, this is the procedure to check the oil.

If the bike has sat overnight (or more), check for the presence of oil in the crankcase by removing the oil loss check bolt on the right side cover below the clutch bulge. With the bike in the vertical position there should be oil seeping out. Replace the bolt.

Once it has been determined that there is oil, start the engine and allow it to idle for 3 minutes.

Stop the engine and wait one minute.

Remove the oil filler cap.

Wipe dipstick.

With the motorcycle vertical, reinsert dipstick but DO NOT thread it in.

Remove dipstick, check oil level. It should be between 'L' (low) and 'F' (full)