Sign in to follow this  

Wealth of Informantion!! Post dedicated to new riders!

This is especially difficult for novice riders, (hell, it's sometimes difficult for everyone) but when you get into a difficult section of trail/track and your bike starts to wander sideways underneath you, or you get cross-rutted, whack the throttle - not the brakes. It goes against all common sense to speed up when it looks like you are going to crash, and your brain will fight you the whole way, but 9 times out of 10, you will squirt right through the tough section by hitting the gas, getting the front end light, and holding on tight with the legs.

angry candy wrote:

...but 9 times out of 10...

LoL -- uh, what happens the 10th time? :)

jim aka the wrooster

The 10th time sounds like this: AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

BAM, CRACK, SMASH, and the sound of your bike wide open with the rear tire spining up right next to your head!!! :)

I liked that "remember to breathe" tip--I have to remind myself!

Also, on MX--never follow. If whoever is in front of you falls, you hit them, or have to stop. You can't pass if you are following. On single track--be sure to have enough clear distance ahead to react and always look for an escape route. Always think "what it--then I might be able to..."

Gassing it goes against common sense and usually works. What many of us fail to do is slow down when the "wow--I didn't crash" feeling overwhelms us after we are out of danger==then we are back in the thick of it!

With the weight of these 4strokers, you need to "ride it like you stole it". I found I have much more balance and control when I ride just under the 'outta control' level....