Best way to clean air filter?

i went to my local shop and they said to use gas, then went to the a different shop with a better reputation. The service guy there laughed when i told him they said to use gas, because it breaks down the filter.

so now im using no-toil, and it kicks ass. Might pick up some oxy clean when my container runs out tho.

anyone who tell you not to use gas is trying to sell you something

The last time I check gas wasn't free. You also can't dispose of gas down the drain. The No-Toil works well. Next time I'll try the oxy cleaner. Although I'm no fan of Walmart.

true, but it burns good and makes a first rate weed killer

• Like 1

anyone who tell you not to use gas is trying to sell you something

Ohh yeh, I can see him trying to gain commission of a $10 bottle of cleaner :) . I can clean/oil the filter in my laundry room sink. without reeking like gas after doing so.

To me its worth the money.

I have used kerosene for years with zero issues. Gas, it'll deteriorate/break down the glue from what I have always read. Gotta admit, gas cleans em quick, but I wont use it.

No toil

Soooooo much easier to use

I've used it since 1999 or so.

I soak mine in mineral spirits and then clean off with some oxi clean and cold water. I also reuse the mineral spirits.

Gasoline and kerosine will ruin your air filter. Use air filter cleaner.. I like motorex the best. It's not cheap, but it cleans them amazing. Do not use gasoline

Kerosene is the recommended solvent for every OEM and Twin Air. It will not ruin your air filter.

Awesome Orange with oxygen from the Dollar Tree.

Great cleaner/degreaser an it's a buck. Cuts chain wax like crazy and is easy on plastic parts ect.

Edited by bluffskier

No-toil air filter oil & No-toil air filter cleaner, quickest and easiest method I've ever tried. Biodegradable, no fumes, and no wasted gas.

I use gas. I just dunk my filter for 10 seconds, constantly squeezing out the gas and letting new gas in, then i immediatley rinse my filter in water. I did this 7 times on my new air filter and countless times on other filters. Everyone that destroyed their filters must soak their filters in gas for a crazy amount of time. It seriously only takes gas 10 seconds to break down all the oil, then when i rinse in my bucket of water and degreaser (purple power) all of the dirt comes out easy.

• Like 1

I have been using gas for years, my dad has been using it for longer, no problems here. My filter has at least 20 cleanings on it. I agree the people that complain about gas must be soaking it. You dip it, then strain put the minerals, rinse it then repeat. Always wash with soapy water afterwards too.

First I soak them in my 10um filtered parts washer (mineral spirits) to get the oil and grease off.

Than I throw them in my washing machine. ----My wife just got a new one and took the old one to the barn for washing filters and rags.

By far the easiest method I have ever used to get a bunch of filters clean at once.

Edited by TmanTman