Sign in to follow this  

05 Tranny bolt stripped...issues

ok I gues I'm an IDIOT. I have changed my tranny oil about 6-8 times never had issues tonight for so ODD reason the bolt will not trighten all the way in just spins....hmmm I guessing is stripped now...so &%$#@!..I'm screwed or what....I have looked at other post here and must people are tapping it out...anyone done this with GOOD luck and results.

If I get it tapped out some guys are saying not to split the case(not like I want too) you can get all the shaving out with a shop vac. But throttlejokie says you can remove the clutch cover and blow compressed air in....how ? I know to remove the clutch cover just the outter one (circle honda printed on it) then blow air where...I would think that blows shavings into the motor more...not sure....help please....how mush is tapping going to run and what size should I tell the shop to do it....want to make sure they don't do tooo big.. M8x1.25 6" long is the correct

Try using a new bolt with the old washer, if you are lucky you can get it to catch some tread and hold it tight enough so it won't leak.

Use some liquid silicone gasket on the bolt and washer and just tighten it.

Before putting the bolt in drill a small hole across the head to safety wire the tranny bolt.

You can connect the wire to your front motor mount, this way the wire wil go straight out from the bolt head and helps form the bolt getting loose.

You can get your tranny oil out next oil change by either removing the clutch cover or take out the cap next to the trannyoil check hole. Just lay the bike over and let it leak out into an oil pan. It's not the best sollution but it will work for a while and when you are ready for a new topend you might as well dig into the engine and put a helicoil in there so it works again, you will have to split cases to do this.

I don't think you can blow it out from the other side on the 450 because there is an airspace. Your best bet is to tap it out with grease on the tap and the chips will stick to it, then flush the trans out repeatedly to get any residual chips out.

were you tightening it to the correct torque or using gorilla ft lbs? you better helicoil it or your gonna have a never ending problem.

I changed the transmission oil by taking the clutch cover off for a year until I got around to getting a tap made by a machine shop. After I ran the tap thru it is now as good as new. I think the biggest problem with stripped tranny bolts is not lifting the shifter completely out of the way when you tighten it up. If you are not exactly square to the engine when you start the bolt you can easily strip the threads. I know thats what I did.

I don't think you can blow it out from the other side on the 450 because there is an airspace. Your best bet is to tap it out with grease on the tap and the chips will stick to it, then flush the trans out repeatedly to get any residual chips out.

This is what I did, not the air thing, but the greased tap, and it worked well, along with getting a longer bolt with the same thread pattern. On the 04's it was the upper subframe bolt which was 5mm longer, but I dont know if that will work on the 05's.

no not grorilla I usually use my fingers then I use a ratched for 1/8 or so turn. last night I was in a hurry and must have not been straingth or something....regardless its broke and just want to know what ways have you guys fixed it.....sounds like a tap is the way to go.....that makes the hole bigger correct ? so I need to get a different size bolt?

no, it wont make the hole bigger. If your lucky you can just tap it, I would seriously look into getting a longer bolt. Here is the part number for the upper sub-frame bolt, it will help your chances in not having to split the cases to fix it::

90120-KZ4-J40 BOLT, FLANGE (8X70)

Unless they changed the 05 drain bolt you can use that one, hope this will help.

Where in Florida are you at? Ive got the tap that will work if your anywhere close to me, I'll look at the size of it when I get home tonight.

Also, when you tap it, lay your bike down on the left side, to help any shavings that arent caught by the grease fall towards the opening, then I used some cheap oil, ran about three quarts through to make sure I flushed it out well.

Your bolt is just snapped off? get an ez-out extractor and turn it out, dont tap it if its not stripped, your just setting yourself up for the next nightmare, a crooked hole!.

mhraxo,

no didn't snap off is just spins about 1/4 or so inch away from the case.

BK14MX ,

I'm in the Tampa Bay area .....let me know where you are that way I can see how far I have to drive...I'm assuming that the local bike shop (customs) may not have the proper length....I 'm not going to a honda dealer I don't trust those yahoo's. I rather trust a guy that builds custom bike for a living and years....

Im in Melbourne so thats a couple hours from me. Before you plan on driving over hear maybe we can find you the tap over there.

The tap is a M8x1.25 6" long, I found one that worked at a Harbor Freight, unfortunately I had to buy a whole kit to get it.

If you know someone with bike tools and experiance, I would bet they may have a tap to help you out. I'd still recommend getting the longer bolt, you will need a new one regardless. Just give the local parts guy the part number for the bolt, I know those clowns can be a pain, I dont have a good Honda dealer over this way either.

Also, heres the link to my post on this subject, there is some good infomation in teh couple pages:http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223460&page=1&pp=10&highlight=trans

Footnote 1: All information contained here in is from Throttlejockey, thanks again for the help Fred, worked like a charm :)

goto http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRHM and order a heli coil kit, you can get the drill the tool and heli coil to repair it correctly. If your close to one in FLA you can walk right in and buy it from the retail store. Your not gonna fix a stripped thread correctly by running a tap thru it of the same size. It will also be 3 times stronger with the heli coil. Oh get a torque wrench to, quit tightening the mortal pi$$ out of it, that bolts only like 12ft lbs or something

Theres an MSC right in Tampa according to there site

BK14MX

How much room is there for the longer bolt....8x70 when the standard on is 8x65 ( I believe) In the bolt hole goes longer then the actual bolt or is there just a space there and not a bolt shaft for say???

I dont know the exact measurement on the length of threads, someone might, but I sure dont. 5 mm is a very small amount, what Im assuming it does is allow for "bite" into clean, non-repaired threads, I say assume becuase I dont know for certain. I think you are concerned with it hitting or getting in the way possibly? I havent had any trouble at all in that department. That fix has worked for me without a problem.

Hello,

same problem on my 04, what did you do? tap size? looking for a fix.

thanks

Everything you need to know is enclosed in this thread. Its a fairly easy process, and I havent had a single problem since I retapped and used the longer bolt.

But, I would recommend starting the bolt by hand once its fixed, and dont go all Hulkster tightening it.

Welcome to TT :applause:

It happened to me, I just bought a few new bolts at $1.50 a piece and when they strip out, I use a new one. I always make sure to get a tight fit with the proper torque. This is a bad design on Honda's part.

The problem is that the tranny bolts on these things will actually go in at a very slight angle and it will try and go into a different hole inside the engine.

It's quite easy to send the bolt into the wrong hole w/ the shifter and the drain lines in the way.

Try to get the bolt out. I had to pry it out w/ a scewdriver while loosening it.

Then just try and get it PERFECTLY STRAIGHT into the hole.

I've seen this happen 2x on the CRFs and they were both fine after I got the bolt into the correct hole.

ok I gues I'm an IDIOT. I have changed my tranny oil about 6-8 times never had issues tonight for so ODD reason the bolt will not trighten all the way in just spins....hmmm I guessing is stripped now...so &%$#@!..I'm screwed or what....I have looked at other post here and must people are tapping it out...anyone done this with GOOD luck and results.

If I get it tapped out some guys are saying not to split the case(not like I want too) you can get all the shaving out with a shop vac. But throttlejokie says you can remove the clutch cover and blow compressed air in....how ? I know to remove the clutch cover just the outter one (circle honda printed on it) then blow air where...I would think that blows shavings into the motor more...not sure....help please....how mush is tapping going to run and what size should I tell the shop to do it....want to make sure they don't do tooo big.. M8x1.25 6" long is the correct

ThumperRookie - I bet you didn't strip the bolt out. If you don't line the tranny bolt up properly to the threaded hole (perfectly perpindicular to the case) the bolt will sort of thread itself across a boss inside the case. Try unscrewing the bolt out and try again making absolutely sure you feel the bolt going into the hole.