Sign in to follow this  

Clutchless Shifting Good Or Bad???????

Do you need to use the clutch  

927 members have voted

1. 1. Do you need to use the clutch

you can probably get away with it for a while. It's like a manual transmission on a car. if the engine and the output shaft are turning relatively the same speed then the collar will just slide right onto the other gear. but the only thing is that dirtbike transmissions are not syncronized and will just slam into gear which is not good on the driveline. When that happens the you could either strip a gear or the dog teeth will strip out. But if you can time it just right then you are ok, but you have to be good at it.

Well, it depends....I'm not sure what exactly a "Clut" could be. But I bet if I had a clut I would never leave the house, never have a girlfriend, and might just go cross-eyed, and have hairy palms.

It never ceases to amaze me the liberty some of the posters on this board take with their creative spelling and lack of proof reading. But I bet if you maintain your bike like you proof read your posts, you're destined for mechanical failure from misuse and lack of maintenance.

Dirty

What a killer smartass comeback. Nice job.

To answer the question (assumed) it depends on how good you are at it. If you can feel it and match RPMs then it's fine.

If you do not know what I'm talking about then I suggest you do not do it or sell your bike every year and get another one. :)

For all of you that responded with "they put it there for a reason, use it" type answers. Yeah, they put it there for a reason, stops and starts. Most atvs and beginner motorcycles have auto clutches(guess what boys, they don't release when shifting only when wheel speed AND engine speed are at idle). If your thinking about telling me that atvs and beginner bikes are different from an mx bike or enduro bike then why would anyone design and sell an auto clutch like the Rekluse? They work great and with as many of them as there are out there I think tranny problems would have shown up by now. The Rekluse doesn't release when shifting unless you let off the throttle and slow down enough to slow the rear wheel. Also motorcycle transmissions are NOT like automotive type transmissions. The gears are always spinning at a speed close enough to correct to let them mesh without sudden acceleration or deceleration of the gears.

Joe

I have a 98 Yz 125 and i just wanted to see What people think about it.

There is nothing wrong with shifting without the clutch. But if you are trying to ride fast on your 125, you should have your finger on the clutch the entire ride. You need the clutch to keep the RPM's up while shifting (makes a huge difference), and you will need to slip it through the corners.

125's are designed to hold the throttle wide open, and use the clutch as a second throttle.

Have you guys ever heard of "stripped gears"? The clutch was put on there so that when you shift it takes all the pressure off of the gears so that they dont strip out. When you switch from one gear thas moving very quickly, to a dead stopped gear, that doesnt want to move, thas why the clutch is there, so that when the spinning gear hits the non-spinning gear it can stop and then as you let the clutch back out, the power slowly comes back and theyre already locked together by the teeth and they wont strip. I mean every once in a while shifting with no clutch is ok, but you guys that do it all the time, no amount of oil is gonna stop your gears from stripping.

None of the gears are at a dead stop while the bike is in motion, they are all spinning on the two different shafts, the primary and counter shaft. Pulling in the clutch only takes the load off, power output from the crank shaft. It does not stop the transmission from turning. The rear wheel still has the counter shaft spinning and it's gears. The gears are always meshing.

If it functioned as you believe it does, the rear wheel would stop every time you pull in the clutch. You stand a better chance of knocking teeth of a gear by having the chain to tight. Learn how a gear box actually works.

You do stand a chance of premature wear on the dogs, shift forks and shift drum by shifting without the clutch.

I've never heard of stripped gears on a dirt bike due to not using a clutch. The gear teeth are always engaged for all gears. There are engagement dogs that slide along the shaft to engage the gear being selected. The engagement dogs can wear (get rounded) to the point the gear sometimes disengages when you don't want it too. The wear is typically a result of poor shifting technique not from not using the clutch.

If you have poor shifting technique or timing you'll know it because you'll hear it or you'll have to use excessive shifting force with your foot. Whether you're using your clutch or not if the gear shifts smoothly with little force you're not wearing the gear. If you have to force the shift you're stressing something like shift forks or gear dogs.

My thought is you're not hurting anything if you have good shifting to throttle timing.

What he said

Motorcycle transmissions are a lot more like front wheel drive manual transmissions than you would think. The clutch allows the 2 shafts to be spinning at a similar speed so shifting is smoother and less of a drivetrain shock. You CAN shift without a clutch no problem, just like you can speed shift in a car but it will wear things down a bit faster than with the clutch disengaged. If you don't want to use it go for it. Sometimes i don't pull the clutch when i shift, especially when downshifting, it's just a little quicker. Also my dang arm gets tired of doing it so i just get lazy.

and those auto-clutches on smaller bikes DO disengage the clutch. next time you sit on one, push the lever down in second gear and hold it. before you let it up the clutch spins freely, when you let it up it goes to 1st gear. same with upshifting. it is called an AUTO clutch for a reason, not clutchless

Thanks for the info titoheadfaceman I thought it was bad on the tranny.

The only time you should use the clutch is when to 1.Take of. 2. need to slip it on a turn. 3. When you stop.

The break your fingers at my track if they see using the clutch, well not really but dont use it!!!

I try and use it as much as possible, if all else fails it isn't hurting anything by using it. Although depending on the situation I do find myself shifting without it. If I have time to get a finger on it safely then I'll use it, if not...oh well!

I'm curius. why does the clutch not need to be engaged when shifting from 3rd to 4th and needed for 3rd to second? i just wouldnt feel right not using it. i think of it like a car i guess. If you are not absolutely sure you dont need it I think you should use it and not listen to everyone here that doesn't unless they work at a bike shop or they went to Motorcycle Mechanic Institute. AND they have torn down trannys after somone had told him they never use the clutch. That's the only way to really be sure. Go to offroad.com and ask Rick Siemon and I will almost guarrantee he will call you an idiot if you dont use the clutch. Just my two cents. i just use the clutch because i take care of my bikes and now that makes me very iffy on buying used bikes again if 85% of the people here say dont use it. :D i think you are better off using it.

"MX Technique" forum has a huge discussion on this.

In short, Semics himself says "Low revs going into corners, no...yes anytime else".