Sign in to follow this  

What to pay for a new DRZ400

I'm in Northern California and am looking at DRZ400E's. I see that MSRP is $5499 on these, but see a bunch of online dealers selling them for $4800.

Just wondering if local dealers have been fairly willing to drop these down a bit. Would it be unreasonable to get a new DRZ for $5100 out the door?

By the way, is this an OK topic? I know some forums frown upon talking about prices...

I say it never hurts to propose a price and stand firm . The worst thats gonna happen is they will say no. If your serious and your credit is good or better yet your paying cash then they will work with you on the price. When they try and add all the set up fees and other BS to the price just say no thanks thats too much. They will usually counter with well lets see what we can do. 🙂

Hes right. Give them your price. If they can't do that try another dealer. When you try and leave they will tell you that price is only good now, not if you leave. Check a couple more dealers, and see who will get closest to your price, or meet it. If you talk to a couple dealers, you should be able to get pretty close to the price you want.

You might want to think about getting an S since your in CA. The E has the same motor as the S here, and if you want to ride the street to connect trails, or do a dual sport ride, you will have some trouble registering the E. You can unbolt all the extra crap from the S, and everyone gets a different tank anyway. I would have got an S if I had known, so I thought I would let you know.

$5100 is low, but not unreasonable. My dealer came down to $4750 on the 400S, tacked on a few fees (prep, freight, etc.). So I bought it locally and paid, maybe, $100-$150 more than ordering from Ohio while lowering my hassle significantly (dealer handled registration and tags, I didn't have to pick the bike up in a crate at a truck freight depot, etc.).

Your best bet is to go into the dealer with a delivered price from an "online" dealer and ask them to make it worth your while to buy from them. Don't be confrontational or loud. Just be quiet, professional, and rational. Say something like "If Dealer X can sell me the bike, delivered, for $X, your dealership should have a big advantage since there's no shipping cost to get it to me. So how about working out a price where I pay the same end-cost and you pocket the freight, crating, etc. that I'd be paying for if I had it delivered?"

I'll tell you now that you're wasting your time if you call dealers on the phone. You have to go there in-person. Good luck!

Hes right. Give them your price. If they can't do that try another dealer. When you try and leave they will tell you that price is only good now, not if you leave. Check a couple more dealers, and see who will get closest to your price, or meet it. If you talk to a couple dealers, you should be able to get pretty close to the price you want.

You might want to think about getting an S since your in CA. The E has the same motor as the S here, and if you want to ride the street to connect trails, or do a dual sport ride, you will have some trouble registering the E. You can unbolt all the extra crap from the S, and everyone gets a different tank anyway. I would have got an S if I had known, so I thought I would let you know.

So how underpowered is the new "E" model vs. the older "E" model?

I just picked up an 05 E for $5115 out the door in Oregon. The guy asked me what I wanted to pay and being fair I said $5000 and I would walk out with it. We sat down and he added up all these numbers and came up with a figure of the bike costing over $6000 with crating fee, setup fees, ect. I basically said I do not care about all that other stuff which is really true and that $5000 was my offer. He made me sign an "official" offer and made me wait a while while he went down stairs. He came back and said they could do $5115. I asked if they would split the difference but did not push the issue when he did not look pleased. I wanted the bike and thought it was a fair deal. I think you have to be really ready to walk out the door at anytime. And know exactly what you want before you go in. Think of it as a game.

There are plenty of Suzuki dealerships in Arkanas, and I assume it's similar nationwide. Most were not helpful if they didn't have what I wanted in stock, a blue 400S, but eventually found one small town dealership that got the bike for me and agreed to a 5K price. I ended up buying the pipe from them, jetting, and getting tires put on so it turned to be 6K OTD. Some dealers want you to give them your money, but I can assure you that someone is willing to work for it. Be patient.

So how underpowered is the new "E" model vs. the older "E" model?

Its really just a slighly lighter S.

But how detuned is the new E model compared to the older DRZ's? I mean is the E a toad now?