Sign in to follow this  

carb cleaning

a couple days ago i took my ttr the a huge mud run and gotta bunch of crap in my airbox some of it sliped throught the filter and i took my airboot of and u could that a lil bit of dirt got in my carb. how should i clean out my carb. will just draining the float bowl do it? i had to ride it home like that and it was like a mile or 2 i cleaned my box filter and airboot before i went home do u think some dirt could of got in my engine?

Cleaning the carb out requires taking it out.It is possible that dirt bike in your engine.

To take the carb out:

turn the gas off

lossen the two clamps on each side that hold it to the boot

take the gas line off

take the overflow line off

take the throttle out (at the very top of the carb)

take the choke out

remove carb.

Cleaning:

turn carb upside down somewhere so the gas can leak out

there will be 1 screw on each corner (4 screws total) you must remove them( these are located on the bottom of the carb)

once you have the float bowl off clean it out.

when you take the FLOAT off you must slide a pin out (be careful when doing this) the needle can be lost easily.also do not bend the tab that the needle sits on b/c it will mess up the fuel flow.

now take out the jets and clean them out with a thin wire

spray everything off to get any other excess dirt off wiht some mold cleaner

then reconstrust your carb and put it back in

Np thats what im here for.also you might want to change the oil if your rode for a while like that.

you aint gotta take the carb off all you gotta do is get some carberator cleaner let your bike idle spray it in to that screen in the airbox untill it goes dead and then just gun it all the way or go ride it wide open..and repeat that 2 or 3 times

you aint gotta take the carb off all you gotta do is get some carberator cleaner let your bike idle spray it in to that screen in the airbox untill it goes dead and then just gun it all the way or go ride it wide open..and repeat that 2 or 3 times

That's the half ass way to do it 🙂

ttr-rider-125: Take off the carb, and clean it out really good. Also, I agree with the oil change if dirt got into your engine. When you drain your oil, keep the drain bolt off and put some new oil in and let the new oil flow out the drain bolt so that all the nasty stuff is out. Since the new oil is a light color, keep poring it in until the color is the same when it comes out of the drain bolt.

Good luck 🙂

Make sure you use some really good stuff, like Castle's, Dragon Fire carburetor cleaner. That stuff works like a charm 🙂

dont doubt me noob.if somethin like this happens it is a d@mn good idea to take the carb out.

🙂 he's not doubting you, just different opinions. Yours, and mine in this case are the best choice. 🙂

:D he's not doubting you, just different opinions. Yours, and mine in this case are the best choice. 🙂

True 🙂

I was just a lil :D at the moment.Everything is coooool now.:D

Btw doing it his way doesn't even work does it?If it does I can't see how. 🙂

now take out the jets and clean them out with a thin wire

NO NO NO!!! don't ever use a wire to clean your jets!!! BAD!!! use compressed air or brake clean or hell even gas but DON'T use wire!!!

Don't listen to em. Wire works and doesn't hurt anything. High pressure air works to.

use kerosene it washes away any dirt or grime that will get in there if u go to like a pep boys or soemthing they sell parts tanks for kerosene for like 50 bucks and it has a nozzle and u can squirt kerosene on any part u want cleaned i got one and it works great

I gotta can of "mold cleaner" I bet it works better 🙂

It makes you like freakin stoned if your inhale to much fumes. 🙂

After reading some of these responses, I think we should all start posting our age in the signature area. 🙂

After reading some of these responses, I think we should all start posting our age in the signature area. 🙂

ok 🙂

That will just suck any dirt down and into your engine 🙂

If he can see any dirt past the airbox I would definitely pull the carb and clean it. Any dirt already through has done what its going to do but why suck any more through?