Sign in to follow this  

Smashed the fan: Leave it off or replace?

I managed to somehow crash and tweak the fan on my 400s (but didn't destroy the radiator, thanks Unabiker), which later tried to turn on and incinerated itself in the process (the blades couldn't turn, but the fan motor tried anyway). Should I leave it off or replace it? The bike is ridden mostly offroad on everything from tight singletrack to wide open desert, and is rarely ridden in traffic (no extended idling periods).

And by the way, that fan is damn heavy...but that wouldn't stop me from replacing it, if that's the thing to do.

Thanks.

It totally depends on how you ride. The E doesn't even come with a fan. I prefer to have my fan because I've noticed it come on quite often. Even when I'm offroading.

It totally depends on how you ride. The E doesn't even come with a fan. I prefer to have my fan because I've noticed it come on quite often. Even when I'm offroading.

I agree. Ride it and if the red light comes on, then replace it. If not, leave it off. 🙂

I would replace it.

I took my fan off trying to lighten my bike up as much as possible and my bike overheated while I was riding some uphill single track in Tahoe. I had my wife Fedex the fan to me the next day. No more overheating.

Some people have talked about not needing it but I definetely do. I guess it depends on the air temperature and the type of riding you do.

Zorn

I have seen some people use 12volt computer fans as an alternative to the stock fan. I think there was a thread somewhere on this forum...

Zorn

Maybe you can buy a fan cheap from someone here that took their's off.

The E/K not only doesn't come with a fan, they don't have a thermostat either. In the housing where one would go they have a small spacer to take up the space in the gasket. There is definately less restriction without the thermostat there.

IF you ride an S with standard jetting/exhaust you will need it...It will run OK until you start hitting the trails and then you will overheat...not enough wind on singletrack 🙂

🙂

Not a "wind" problem but rather a bike that is jetted poorly from the factory. It was only meant to pass EPA. Once jetted properly it will not run as hot.

Not a "wind" problem but rather a bike that is jetted poorly from the factory. It was only meant to pass EPA. Once jetted properly it will not run as hot.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at above 🙂 but I lost my fan to a crash a couple of weekends ago and I was able to ride it to my trailer (without overheating) once I got to the logging roads and had a little "wind" cooling from speed. :D When I get around to the 3X3 I'll expect it to run cooler 🙂

:D

It'll only run cooler if you rejet it for the 3x3 as well, otherwise you will be even more lean and run hotter.

yeah i would just get a cheapo 120mm computer fan and wire it up

I've removed fan and had no overheat issues. The climate is quite cold here though.

Sounds like I should check into this computer fan business. Thanks for all the help.