Sign in to follow this  

laceing wheeles

Does anyone know of a web site that has instructions and pictures of how to lace wheels.Or can anyone give me instructions how to themselves.

just realized there are 2 different size spokes for rear wheel.Which side gets smaller spokes brake or sprocket side.

It is not a matter of which side, left or right, the different lengths are inside versus outside. If you look at the hub, you will notice the difference. Last spring I did my wheel and finally got it correct on the forth try.

I laced one side completely and then did the other side, leaving everything very loose. Once it was all together, I mounted the rim on the rear of the bike and placed two small pieces of cardboard (cut cereal box) on the swing arm. One for the left to right truing and the other to be sure that the wheel stayed round and didn't become egg shaped. Slowly tighten spokes and continue process until spokes are tight and wheel is true.

It takes some time, but is relatively easy. Just remember that if the wheel is off from left to right, then you may have to loosen one side and tighten the other. I know some people just automatically keep tightening and forget to loosen the other side. This can stress overstress the hub and rim.

By the way, if you use Buchanan spokes, you will need to drill the hub. The nice thing about the Buchanan spokes is that they will stay tight.

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys.I got the spokes on took a couple of trys.Also i found out from a friend that the 2 lengths of spokes the shorter one goes in the hole close to the axel and the longer further.Just waiting for my spline drive head for my fasst torque wrench.You would think when you buy rims and spokes it would include instructions. 🙂