GT80 Question

Picked up a 79 GT80 this weekend. This was my first bike as a kid. The bike is in good running order but the forks make a loud clunk when fully extended. Is there like a rubber grommet that is missing to keep it from making this noise? Thanks for the help, here is a picture.

25_1_b.JPG

Well, for starters, why don't you get a manual from Clymer and then take apart the forks to see if any parts are missing? If you haven't had the forks apart at all, then you don't know if there's even fork oil in there, a broken spring, something loose, whatever.

My buddy did make a good point similar to you El Marko. He said that it was probably the dampaning from the oil that is missing causing the forks to rebound too quickly makeing the banging noise. I will try changeing the fork oil and see what that does for me.

NSANEMX thanks for the offer, the ones that are on the bike seem in good shape I will email you if they turn out to be busted up on the inside.

swap out the rear shocks, you can gain about an inch more travel, and its amazing how much more fun the bike can be. My brother has an mx 80. Carb is all messed up, and is currently a project for me to get running right, other than that, its a good bike.

I also have a Clymer

So do you want to sell the Clymer manual?

Fallen Angel what kind of rear shocks did you put on your 80? The guy that I bought it off had a project bike that he put some Fox air shocks on. He also had a matching set of 74 YZ's an 80 and a 250 in mint condition. :applause:

• 15 years later...