Passes and trails Central CO

Some passes:

Cottonwood - open

Tincup - snowblocked

Hancock - snowblocked

Cumberland - open

Napoleon - reported open, but very muddy

Tomichi - no word, but undoubtedly snowblocked

The folks at St Elmo General Store say that Tincup and Hancock will probably be closed until well into July!

--------------------------------------------------

Some trails:

The Crest Tr is open from Marshall Pass north to the Agate Cr Tr turnoff and then open north to the Green Cr Tr turnoff. Shortly thereafter, at the cornice, the trail is blocked with a 10' high drift about 150 yards wide (too wide to get around).

Parts of the Cont Divide Tr from Marshall Pass south and west to Highway 114 are still snowblocked, but almost all side trails are now open (south of Sargents).

Trails around Needle Res and west to Barret Park are open.

Most trails north of South Fork / Del Norte in the La Garita's are open, including over Bowers Peak and Mesa Mtn (some snow).

The Rainbow Tr has been open for a month.

Cement Cr trails are mostly open (snow in dark places and higher elevations). Double Top is reported impassable on the north end. No doubt Brush Cr Tr and Crystal Pass are snowblocked.

From no2tracks (6/27/05):

"Was up at Taylor this weekend and upper Star, Italian, are still snowbound. It'll be middle of July before they're open."

every thing will be good in august!! If I remember to go to the upstream side of the beaver pond going up to Napoleon,and not sink thedrz up to it's seat cover like I did a few years back. Thanks to the guy from Texas (Ithink) that helped me get the water out of it ,so we could get back to Pitkin.Man was that water cold.(shrinkage)

Trailryder42 and I and some others are going to be at Taylor park 7/14- 7/18 or so and I am curious about Timberline Trail. Am I correct in assuming it doesnt get so high up that it should be clear by then. And Ramz dont bother calling the border patrol on me, it wont do any good. I am a native Coloradan, born in Grand Junction.

Trailryder42 and I and some others are going to be at Taylor park 7/14- 7/18 or so.

I will be up there 7/22 - 7/28 always looking for more in the group there is only two of us going. If your there hook up with me (PM) and let RIDE 🙂🙂

I rode Cottonwood 2 week ago. It was perfect, except that I blew my friken clutch up. Lil' bit of snow too at the top.

Tomichi is open, with one small snowbank that you can get through.

Well, most of us could get through.... Monarch Crest is open but there still is a snow cornice to go around - take it easy off of the trail so we don't tear it up an lose access. Lots of MTBers going down from Monarch pass.

Crystal Peak is open if you're going down. It'd be a bit sketchy going up right now, still a pretty big drift and a few drifts in various places on the way down.

On a side note, we ran into timvv51 and TrailRider42 on American Flag mountain and again at Crystal Peak. It was nice to meet you guys, hope you had a great ride.

If you go to Taylor, make sure you take the DEET! The deerflies and mosquitos are *thick*.

It was good to meet you too Merfman. We had a great ride. We did 71 miles that day. Who is it that wore his license plate on his backpack? I got a great picture of him getting the bike thru the drift at Crystal peak.

TaylerLess018.jpg.TaylerLess045.jpgCrystal Pass and American Flag. I think the Merfman is in there somewhere. Thats Trailryder42 with the map on Crystal pass. Many Kudos to Trailryder 42 for his navigation skills. It was an extrodinary experience.

It was good to meet you too Merfman. We had a great ride. We did 71 miles that day. Who is it that wore his license plate on his backpack? I got a great picture of him getting the bike thru the drift at Crystal peak.

There were two of us with backpack plates. Guy on a KTM was Ernest and Merfman was the guy on the WR450...

Did yall ride Double Top or any of the other high trails south of Crystal Pass? And just for info, where exactly is pucker point along Double Top. Is it north or south of where it splits into 405 and 405.3a

We did ride Double Top. Pucker Point? I'm unfamiliar with that name/feature of the trail.

Somewhat south of the Waterfall intersection; see second row of pics:

Double Top pics

The actual trail is seen in the lower right of the pictures in row 2.

Ok, it is Merfman I got the shot of then.

TaylorPark0547a.jpg

Yup, that's me! Thanks for sharing!

Hey guys,

you must have been going over Crystal Peak pass after we were there (I think on friday). When we were there, there were not any bike tracks in the snow drift... just our boot tracks from taking pictures of that 10' deep drift.

I think that was the only trail that we came across that was blocked by snow.

Hope you all had fun...

--Phil

Yeah, we went thru on Saturday. Merfmans group was right behind mine as we reached the drift. There were still just your bootprints in the snow. Merfmans group bulldogged their way thru first, having to go up high and then once thru, carefully walk the bike down to the trail on that slippery slope.