Sign in to follow this  

Kicked an XT600

Hey Thumpers,

It's been a while since I posted but I thought I share the comparison between my 01 drz400s and my friends 93 xt600.

We started off on the road then went off road and riding at a mild pace. We then swapped bikes and I expected his bike to have much more power then mine but that was not the case. I couldn't believe how my Z outperformed his XT600.. I was surprised by how much more power my 400 CC bike had over his 600. Even with taking the weight into consideration, that bike doesn't have half the response the DRZ provides. Maybe it's because my bike is 8 years newer so technology might be the difference, but it makes me love the DRZ even more! The one advantage he had was the stability on the street as mine gets a little crazy at 70mph but now I'm inspired to fix that at the moment!

DRZ kicks ass! 🙂

Mike

A buddy of mine bought a XR 650L ? ( Dual Sport model) We swapped in his back yard and man what a difference. That thing seemed like a pig compared to my 400. It was like going from a 2 smoke to a 4 back in the day. Felt very lethargic. No throttle response, hard to maneuver. I am still glad I went with the 400. 🙂🙂:D

I recently went from a 1989 XT600 to a 2001 DRZ400S

While I'll never regret the upgrade, the big thumpers have TONS more bottom end torque than my 400. That 600 would almost never kill, even in the deepest soup. It had so much bottom end it went through wheel spokes left and right. In the four years I had it I relaced the rear wheel twice and replaced single spokes several times.

The big difference in the power band is that the XT600 quits making serious power around 4000 rpm. It still pulls, but that stump pulling, wheelie over the top, drag logs out of the woods power is long gone by 4000 rpm.

The 400, though, has a much longer, flatter torque curve, making it much, much easier to ride. The brakes are better, hell, everything is better (except that bottom end grunt) (IMHO)