Sign in to follow this  

250X vs 450R with a kickstand

I currently ride a DRZ400S and mostly just follow my two sons around on their crf80 and ttr90. I'd really like to be able to have a bike that I can toss around on the trails that we ride, with an occasional, hey kids watch daddy climb that big hill over there. Because of the Suzuki, I'm hyper sensitive to weight and have ruled out the 450x (?). It's either a 250x or a 450r with a kickstand. My biggest concern with the 450r is gearing. I do need a bike that can be lugged around at 10 MPH 25% of the time.

I am super happy with my 250 X with the ccc mods. If your kids are riding the smaller bikes you should be fine on an X.

When we do family rides I dont even like to ride the X because I have to keep waiting for everyone :-) Its ay too easy to go fast. So far I have had no power issues whatsoever on any hills I have climbed. Nice power from the bottom to the top for trail riding ( at least aroound here ) I dont know if it would be good for open desert but it sure is fun on the trails and whoops.

Bikewriter and Detlman,

Good information. I'm leaning towards the 250x right now mostly because I feel like it's probably the best bike for the rider I really am, not the rider I wish I was (that hurts). What are the ccc mods that you talked about? Also, there is a new 2004 at a dealer here that I can get for a decent price. Should I be leary of this bike for any reason other than the fact that I'd be buying a brand-new, two-year-old bike?

I'm still reserving the right to change my mind and buy the 450.

I own a 2004 250X and loved it at first. Then I started riding with my buddies who are all riding 450's and 250 two strokes. Worst thing I ever did was get on the 450R, after that I felt like I was riding a play bike. Not all was lost though... changed exhaust, ported head, new cam, smog block off, open airbox, and jetting gave me what I was looking for. Now I would take this bike over the 450R any day. Seems like alot of work but the result is a killer trailbike with enough power to climb hills and a green sticker!

Hey Goob,

how do the mods you listed compare to the mentioned 270 Kit? Cost and performance. I could see myself buying the 250, and upgrading it after a year of riding.

I have a stock 03 450r and if there is a better trail bike i don`t need it. My kids have 250Xs and they are very nice bikes to ride and i would be happy with one, but the 450r...... 🙂

Unlike what i`ve read on here my 450 will putt-putt around and never die, and will start with 1-2 kicks every time hot or cold. Get a used 450r, if not happy resale, but it`s it`s the most fun bike i`ve ever rode.

howa bout a 250R with a kickstand and an 11oz flywheel weight? I love mine, it is real easy to throw around and already makes more power than the X

howa bout a 250R with a kickstand and an 11oz flywheel weight? I love mine, it is real easy to throw around and already makes more power than the X

Exactly. Well, except for the flywheel weight. 25lbs less too.

with an occasional, hey kids watch daddy climb that big hill over there.

If that's truly your criteria, you may want to consider the 450R. There are some steepish loooong hills at a spot I ride and my 250F has to be worked to get up there. My 450R can make it on one wheel WFO and you can plant corn in the trech it creates.

In this case, there is a chance that the 250F might not be enough bike. The same can't be said of the 450R.

I am in exactly the same boat as you I have a 5yr old on a 50 quad and a 9 yr old on a 90ttr, but I do also ride the trails with friends and I had a DRZ400s, but sold it as the weight was unbearable on the real trails and hills and mountains. I went with the 250x with a few mods and am very happy. I might put a 270 kit when it needs a top end but I am happy without it.

Guys, thanks for the opinions. I'm going over to the local Honda dealer at 3:00 today to pick up my 250X. Got a new 05 for $5700. The dealer let me take it out back and ride it around on a little track they have there and I was done looking around. They're installing the radiator brackets and Acerbis hand guards for me as well. The owner let me putt around on his piped 250x as a comparison...next year. I'm pretty sure that anything less than a wide open sand dune ride and this bike is going to be plenty for a 35 year old candyass like me. I hope you can see the grin on my face from wherever you are. By the way 125shifter, I guess I'll just have to have you send me some of that corn.