Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Jetting

I'm having trouble finding advise on jetting for higher altitude. I know a little about jetting, but I'm not good enough to know what to do here. I bought the bike from someone who rode at 9000+ feet all the time. He's got it dialed in very well for that. I'm going to be riding around Dever, with my home base altitude being 5600. My offroad riding will be at rampart, and up in the mountains up to 13,000...

I know that if I jet for around town, then it won't be as good in the mountains, but I'm trying to dual sport it as a commuter bike.

The bike has the snorkel removed, and a full yosi exhaust.

Can I simply change the jet by one or two and be good? I'm just looking for some advise here since I"m not "jetting smart" enough to know how to change things exactly. I just don't want to lean it out so much that I'll blow up my engine, or have it so rich that I'll foul a plug riding around town.

Thanks Guys!!!!

Mike

2002 DRZ400E - Yoshimura stainless steel exhaust system with TEC inserts, RTT steering stabilizer, Rekluse Z-Start auto clutch. Moose flex series handle bar, Moose handguards, UFO headlight, Race-Tech gold-valved forks, Race-tech springs front and rear, Gutz racing seatfoam and gripper cover.

I'm not sure if I'll be much help, because I'm on a S model, but here's what I did.

We're heading to Colorado in two weeks. I did a internet search and found an outfit called Backroads Adventures in Canada. They rent stock DR350 and DRZ400S bikes.

He suggested for my DRZ400S that I go from a 142.5 stock main down to a 130. He also suggested going from a 22.5 stock pilot to a 27.5 at 3.5 turns out, and lowering the jet needle with Suzuki part # 13382-44030.

That's for a stock bike. I know you're modified and your E has a different carb than the S, but it might give you some benchmarks to try.

My jets just came in and I'll be installing them next week. I'll be back after the 17th of July and can let you know how it ran then.

The guy was really helpful, so I'm going to plug his web site here...

http://www.backroadsadventures.ca

okay so I took the jet out to see what he had in there for running 10,000 feet, and it has the stock 142 in it. Now I'm not 100% sure that he even did any rejetting work after he put the pipe in, maybe just left it and figured that if it's not popping or fouling plugs that it must be okay.

So I tried to do a plug check for my first time. I let it warm up and as slowly as possilbe got about 300 feet away from my driveway, turned around and pinned it through one two and three, then killed it. The problem might be because I have the rekluse clutch and the engine keeps spinning even after I hit the kill switch. But the plug seemed like it didn't even have anything on it. no white, no tan... really nothing. Tell me what I'm doing wrong. or does that mean that it's jetted just fine? Do I just need to get it hotter?

I bought a 145 and a 140 today so I could at least change it out one more time so I can ride to work tomorrow. I just need the thumpertalk thumbs up or down.

Thanks guys.

Mike

I'm not riding at 10,000, I'm riding at 5600-12,000, so if I'm doing this right, then a 138 at 5600 would be too lean... so I need to go up a size or so... putting me at 140-142.

While I'm on the subject, is there an easy way to turn the carb to get that jet out? It's friggin hard to get to.

Mike

I've got an E with the snorkel out and stock exhaust. Home is at 4,500' and I ride regularly up to 8,000'. When summer temps hit, 90+ degrees at altitude, my bike ran very poorly above 7,000'. I dropped to a 138 as recommended by "burned" (thank you!) and my bike runs great, better than ever. I'm guessing that you want to put in a new main once, and be done with it. That's asking a lot with the altitude ranges you're riding. Rule of thumb: higher and/or hotter needs to be run leaner. You might be OK with a 138 in town and in the mountains this summer. Denver gets real hot in summer, so leaner. The mountains aren't as hot as town, so richer for the temp but leaner for the altitude. Maybe one jet can work? If you're too lean in town you should be able to feel it.

My 01 E loves the stock jetting with just the lid yanked out you know the famous 3x3. That's one nice thing about the E it's already to just pull it out. Stock jetting has worked fine well past timberline for me. Give it a try, prairiedawg 🙂

Like Priariedawg, I also have stock jetting in my '01 E, snorkel removed and it runs fine. 99% of my riding is in the mtns and high passes, never had an issue. FYI, I also have a WB E-series pipe but will soon change to a FMF Q2.

I called a local shop in Denver for their jetting recommendation. If I remember correctly they stated 8% less than what I normally used.