Sign in to follow this  

Good in most places but HORRIBLE in whoops, what to do?

I've got an 04 KX250F that Ive ben riding for the past year and a half at the local MX tracks. I've set the sag and adjusted the clickers to my liking. A new track recently opened near here and they are the only track around that has actual whoops. Well my bike is HORRIBLE in the whoops. At first I thought it was just me but my buddie rode my bike and said the same thing. The back end kicks up alot and the front end drops, very scary when you're trying to go fast. I'm thinking more rebound dampening in the rear and less in the front. Am I right? Any input appreciated.

Thanks

I've been wondering about setup for deep sandy whoops too.

I ride Glen Helen and Cahuilla. Both get big soft whoops. I seem to think it helps to "slow" both ends down. So +2 clicks on HS compression and rebound front and rear.

Doesn't hop or kick so much.

Who else has thoughts on setup for whoops?

thanks, but I should mention these are supercross style whoops...

oh, well, to quote RC, "I just got to come off the berm fast enough to be pinned in 4th before i get to 'em, else the bike just starts bucking like a PBR bull..."

SX'ers run their suspension extremely stiff and go really fast.

Your shock rebound may be too slow, causing the shock to pack up between the peaks of the whoops. Best thing to do is try different settings.

Ride on

Brewster

Sounds like it's my kind of track.

Do you mind if I ask where it is?

Id go two clicks stiffer in the front compression and one stiffer on the rebound on the rear. Ride and evaluate from there...

Strongly agree....

and thanks for the link.

Well when you have motocross setup it's going to be to soft for big whoops. So you want to try to make a median setting. So if the track gets super rough(2ft braking bump) I would stay with the soft set up and try to do your best in the whoops. If the track is smooth I would have the set up at about FR C12 In R 13 In RR C11 In R12

Most of the time if it's deep natural whoops and your bike is kicking the compression is too soft. The sad thing is most people back out on the rebound adjuster everytime their bike kicks when in reality the need to make their shock stiffer. Where there's rolling whoops there's usually sand and in sand it's better to setup the bike stiff. You might lose some plushness but the benefit of the added handling in the turns and whoops I feel will be well worth the trade off.