Sign in to follow this  

FMF Q on XR4 mounting question

Hey guys, I picked up a used "Q" pipe for my XR4, and have a question about mounting it. Where the stock pipe has a clamp at the junction at the header, the Q doesn't have one. The pipe isn't even slotted to allow it to clamp on, the pipe just ends (it does have the gasket inside). I know FMF says to put some high-temp gasket sealant in there, but shoudn't I need some kind of clamp as well?

Thanks guys.

I have the same pipe and use the old clamp.

It will fit if you machine the parts that stick out a little. I just cut them off jambed it on there and sealed it up. Works perfect and no leaks.

I just put a FMF Power Core 4 on and it came with a aluminum spacer that fits in the end of the mid pipe and the hole is just big enough for the stock header to fit in. You have to seal it with high heat silocone and when bolted on it's pretty stout. Only done one ride so far and it appears to have a pretty good seal.

Thanks guys. I will seal it with high-temp RTV, I was just wondering aobut the clamp. As it's a solid pipe )not "grooved" like the stocker, I don't see how a clamp would be able to compress the pipe at all ...that's pretty heavy guage steel! lol

I'll give it a try ...worst case, it gets loose, hardly something to loose sleep over! 🙂

Any luck in mounting it? Funny I just bought a used FMF Q pipe off this site as well. Hopefully it'll be here this week, but I was hoping it would "slip-on" just as its suppsoed to... 🙂

I haven't mounted it yet, I have to go over to the garage this weekend and pull the swingarm ...no point in doing it until I'm done. It will slip right on though (I already tried). You do need tp put high-temp gasket sealant around the orifice to help it seal. My question was simply whether or not it should have some kind of clamp ...it looks like the answer is no! 🙂