Sign in to follow this  

How do I lube the swing arm bolt!!!!

I need almost a picture of what to take out to lube my swingarm bolt. There is all kinds of suspension stuff in the bottom. Can anyone get me a picture or explain it better?

After removing the swingarm nut, use a metal rod of similar diameter, to push out the bolt (lets all hope it isn't seized. If that is the case then there is a long chat you and I could have). As the bolt is pushed out the rod will be a substitute in its place. In this way you will not have to disconnect shock, or linkage.

MHR

Should be a picture in the faq but I'll try and help. It will be a bolt near the bottom of the shock. There will be a nut on the right side and a allen wrench (or hex key, whichever you'd like) on the other side. I think there is a picture link in the faq.

wait wait wait where is the faq at?? So if I find a rod of similar size then I beat it out with a hammer therefor the rod will go where the swingarm bolt was at?? I have already gotten the nut off by the kickstarter. I just dont know what to do now. I know the bolt DOES twist whenever I twist it on the other side of the bike. I just dont know what to do now.

I did mine while my bike was on the jack that held the bike in place. I just pulled it all the way out and greased it up. Take a punch or something and put it on the end of the bolt and tap it out.

Yeah but you see thats the problem. It wont tap out. Im gonna have to BANG it out. And what about all of those others suspension things. Do they need to be lubed also???

Sounds like you weren't one of the lucky ones like I was... Search for the countless amount of threads on this.

My story of peril.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259051

From what I understand, the swingarm bolt in my xr4 is definitely not the normal case of corrosion, and that in cases where the bolt will still turn, it is very likely that persuasion with either a small sledge/large hammer or preferably an air hammer will make short work of this bolt.

The reason that the bolt will not easily come out, is that it is corroded to bushings/sleeves (whatever you want to call them) that over the length of the bolt are stacked to provide a solid "pipe" creating the correct gap between sides of the frame. Being that you can still turn the bolt (does it turn freely or with some resistance?), I am guessing that your swingarm bolt is siezed to the sleeves that run through the inside of the swingarm bearings. If the swingarm bolt were seized at the engine, I beleive, the bolt would not turn at all, as in my case.

MHR

OKAY!!!! I got it out. It took about a 1 1/2 foot rod and a small sledgehammer. I have it out and it is bone dry and it has a smooth layer of rust on it now. Now what do I do? Soak It with grease and stick it back in and done???? please reply

steel wool (or wire wheel in the bench grinder) the rust off before you grease it, then slap it back in. be sure to use ??? (high temp marine?) type of grease.

No need for high temp grease on that bolt. Normal assembly lube/grease will do fine. They need to start making that bolt out of Teflon 🙂 . Have fun!!!