Sign in to follow this  

drive chain lubrication

i have read on some threads that people are using WD40 on their chains.

i just found out that oils like WD40 can damage the O-rings in the chains.

can i use white lithium grease?

You can use whatever you like, it is your bike after all. Me I use a motorcycle drive chain specific lube like silkolene. It works well, the chains seem to last, is not much money, and is designed to work for the application.

Wd40 forty will not damage orings, but It's lubrication properties are worthless, not all parts on oring chains are sealed, including the sprockets will wear at higher rates , especially on the street.

But once the wd40 evaporates in about 2 miles, and your orings heat up, they get hot a tacky from lack of lube. That's what will take out an oring, then the inside dries out.

I agree with what Spud786 and 10guy wrote.

I don't trust WD40 to lube my chain. I find it suspicious that all of the purpose-designed chain lubes are thick and sticky while WD40 is so thin. It's not worth it to me to save $5/can on chain lube -- especially when it lasts so long anyway.

i have read on some threads that people are using WD40 on their chains.

i just found out that oils like WD40 can damage the O-rings in the chains.

can i use white lithium grease?

Put the bike on a stand, clean with kerosene and a brush, let it dry, go for a 10 minute ride to warm the chain, put the bike back on the stand and lube it with Belray Super Clean. If you do that every 200 / 300 miles in the dirt or 600 miles on the pavement your chain will last a long, long time. Good luck 🙂

Unlike chain lubes (I've been using Maxima Chain Wax for many years), WD-40 is way too thin, attracts dirt, and as said earlier, evaporates quickly. So what you get is all sorts of dust and sand sticking to your chain sanding it away...

Chain wax goes on clean, doesn't fling, and seals the chain with a waxy film. Nothing gets in (at least looking at my chain, that's the impression that I get). And bonus, they don't attract dirt.

I have 7000km on the DR-Z and the chain is still shiney on the outside (I lightly pass a scott towel on the outside after every chain lube), the sprocket is not gummed up except a tiny bit at the contact points.

I don't think you can go wrong with chain wax.

TZ.

I believe I've read in this forum that it's no use to lube your o'ring chain since the lube can't get in the inside of the o'rings... it only prevents your chain from rusting on the outside...

On the other hand i could be wrong....

For the most part that's true. With an o-ring chain you are mainly fighting corrsion with lube. It may lube the roller to sprocket teeth contact a little, but it's not doing much. Have you ever looked at a superbike/supersport chain? No lube, period.

Put the bike on a stand, clean with kerosene and a brush, let it dry, go for a 10 minute ride to warm the chain, put the bike back on the stand and lube it with Belray Super Clean. If you do that every 200 / 300 miles in the dirt or 600 miles on the pavement your chain will last a long, long time. Good luck

Ditto. :D WD-40 will get in past o-rings and wash out the captured lube. WD-40 is a great solvent. Why use a solvent on an o-ring drivechain 🙂

Kerosene keeps o-rings moist, happy and flexible while attacking the gunk. :D

Then Super Clean for a dry, waxy, no-flip lube. 🙂

WD-40 = Water Dispersal , Formula #40( The 40th try on making the product)

I use Castrol chain lube on my DR650, ride hard off road and single track, lots of greavel and pavement also. 17,000km ( On stock o-ring chain)and I changed the chain , it was prolly still good for another 1000 to 2000 km or so but I didn't want to take any chances.

The chain lube does lube an o-ring chain. I lubricates chain to sprokets and o-ring to side plates. There is some movement between the o-rings and side plates and with out lube they will wearverry fast.

Chain lube is cheap, and it works.... But like someone else posted " It's your bike, use whatever you want" 🙂