Sign in to follow this  

Under pressure

What tyre pressures do you guys run at? I am running my gritty nobblies at 18 front 22 rear...seems ok on the road (although the front starts to weave much over 70mph) but way too hard for the dirt...I know some folks go as low as 10 or even 8psi...how low do you think I can go and still be safe when I hit the tarmac...I am on and off the road in quick succession around here so a compromise would be great.

0 PSI on the Teraflex II. I ran several hours without any pressure and I didn't notice it.

When I wanted to increase the pressure from 0.7 to 1.0 bar, I found out that there wasn't any pressure ergo a flat tire;-)

Try 14 to 15 psi front and rear. You'll get much better off road traction without much loss of on road grip. You can go to 10-12 psi for soft terrain with no sharp rocks. Below 10 psi (rear only, I never go below 12 psi up front) I would have heavy duty tubes and/or a terraflex rear tire. Also get rim locks front and rear if you don't have them all ready. It will feel a little squirrely on the road in turns but as long as you aren't doing your best Valentino Rossi impression you'll be safe. For straight line acceleration and brakeing you'll actually have better traction on the road at a lower pressure.

Personally I have never used less than 12 psi in the front or rear until I got a terraflex last year.

The weave above 70 is probably more from the tread pattern than the pressure, I'm not familiar with the "Gritty Nobblies" brand of tires 🙂