Sign in to follow this  

Slightly Dented Fork Tube

My upper right fork tube is slightly dented (hit a tree) just below and maybe right where the fork seal sits. The fork seal is now leaking. I didn't notice the dent until I started looking at the fork seals and took off my fork guards. The dent is barely noticable. I have the orignal seals on my 03 wr250f.

I was going to send the suspsension off to Factory Connection for a revalve and new seals. My question is - what is the chances of getting away with just new seals. The dent is barley noticable and the dust seals seem to fit OK. I know the tolerances on something like this is pretty tight. I don't feel like dishing out $549 for a new upper tube.

Any thoughts? Should I send them out and hope for the best or resign myself to spending the bucks on a new fork tube.

We had something similar happen on a ttr-225. It got dented underneath that black protector and leaked all the time. It didnt do it fast but if you left it sitting a couple days it would empty the shock. We replaced the seals a couple times and it didn't work, they all you got wrecked. The only fix was to buy a new fork tube. sorry.

No its not sticking as far as I can tell.

Dunlop, did the seals last for a bit or did the leak right away? I am thinking a new tube is in my future.

A new tube is probably in your future if you want to stop the leakage. Unless, a suspension shop would have a tool to reach down in there and re-expand the dent. (maybe something like a muffler pipe tool?)

Also, btw- I think I saw a lower tube on Ebay last night.

Good luck with it.

I'm sure it depends on how much you ride it as to how long new seals will last. But getting seals put in by the dealer isnt that cheap of a thing either. The new seals will probally start leaking within a week if rode. That dent will just keep on tearing the seal up every time it passes over it.

Matt Crown at MCR Suspensions (www.mcrsuspension.com) saved an inner fork leg for me ('96 YZ250). I sent my badly leaking forks in for their seasonal tune-up, and he found a 1/4 inch nick in the leg. New seals and some careful buffing on the ding has everything back to normal. You can still see the nick, but the forks don't leak. I'm sure Factory Connection could do the same for you.

Dan.

I am concrned because the "roundness" where the seal sits is no longer a perfect circle. I is just hardly noticable though. I will talk to Factory Connection before I send them in. I wonder if they would have a cheaper price on fork tubes than the dealer.

Thanks for all of the input.

As long as its just in the seal land it is something you should be able to make round again with a dremel barrel sander. If it is where the fork lower actually slides threw it will be a little more trouble to buff it out. The seal leaking is probably just a coincidence.