Sign in to follow this  

Maintenance for the mighty DRZ

Now that I own a YZ and I'm getting used to regularly demanded maintenance, I realize how trouble-free the DRZ is/was. I'm still on the original clutch plates and have only had the first required valve adjust and none since....and I've riden the wheels off the Suzuki. Are these machines bullet-proof? I don't have a shop manuel for the Zook and I'm wondering how long I'll be able to go before I need clutch plates and a valve adust?

I check my valves and plates (among other things) about every 2 months.. I've had the bike 4 years and 15.5K miles and my clutch is just fine, whilst my valves have needed adjusting twice (once due to installing hotcams, so that shouldn't even count).

They're pretty damn bullet proof.

Now that I own a YZ and I'm getting used to regularly demanded maintenance, I realize how trouble-free the DRZ is/was. I'm still on the original clutch plates and have only had the first required valve adjust and none since....and I've riden the wheels off the Suzuki. Are these machines bullet-proof? I don't have a shop manuel for the Zook and I'm wondering how long I'll be able to go before I need clutch plates and a valve adust?

Well, they are pretty bullet-proof given a little maintenance. I think Spud has over 30k miles and just changed clutch plates, could be wrong. I re-shimmed at about 5k miles and they haven't moved since. There was a guy on here from Malaysia a while back wanting to know how to re-set the speedo because he'd reached 99,000 kilometers. He'd had a valve job done and that was about it. He used the bike in a courier service and admitted to pretty easy riding. Keep an eye on the valves, install the MCCT if you haven't and look at the plates when the clutch starts slipping. Good luck 🙂

Well, they are pretty bullet-proof given a little maintenance. I think Spud has over 30k miles and just changed clutch plates, could be wrong. I re-shimmed at about 5k miles and they haven't moved since. There was a guy on here from Malaysia a while back wanting to know how to re-set the speedo because he'd reached 99,000 kilometers. He'd had a valve job done and that was about it. He used the bike in a courier service and admitted to pretty easy riding. Keep an eye on the valves, install the MCCT if you haven't and look at the plates when the clutch starts slipping. Good luck 🙂

A courier that takes it easy, he is the only one in the world. All the couriers round these parts are certifiable bloody lunatics. :D:D

Neil.

🙂

A courier that takes it easy, he is the only one in the world. All the couriers round these parts are certifiable bloody lunatics. 🙂:D

Neil.

🙂

Well, Neil...that's what the guy said...I don't think you and I would make it long as couriers or takin' it easy... :D:D:D

the only couriers in Asia taking it easy are in Japan and Singapore. KL couriers ... madmen.

Hey Ross, I have 32,000 miles still on original clutch, while I don't abuse my clutch but it does does see a fair amount of engine braking on Throttle blip down shifts.

Still works good so far

There was a guy on here from Malaysia a while back wanting to know how to re-set the speedo because he'd reached 99,000 kilometers. He'd had a valve job done and that was about it. He used the bike in a courier service and admitted to pretty easy riding. Keep an eye on the valves, install the MCCT if you haven't and look at the plates when the clutch starts slipping.

i guess this guy ya saying is my friend

he still riding the bike till today 🙂

i think ya 426 is still pretty much reliable as compare to other 450s.

🙂

Manual cam chain tensioner to replace the OEM auto cam chain tensioner known to be defective on early bikes like your's and mine. It over-tightens the cam chain and the next thing you know you're lookin' for a new engine for your E. www.bitechmachine.com makes the best one in my opinion. And, he is a TT member. Do a "search forum" and you'll learn lots...it's about $50 delivered and worth the peace of mind. Comes with good instructions and is an easy install. Good luck 🙂

Shoot I don't know if burned had to adjust the SM or not, it ain't moved any since I got it. The dirt E has never seen wideopen but for a second or two. It's geared 13-50 and I use it to play on cliffs or what ever else I can scare myself half to death on. I don't find myself wideopen in these delicate climbing situations so I don't know if the thing will ever need the vales adjusted. I'll keep checking though just in case. prairiedawg 🙂

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be looking into the cam chain tensioner problem too. If my OEM tensioner hasn't failed yet does that mean it's not a defective one or just hasn't gone out yet and eventually will?

It mean that bitech MCCT it's worth the money to never get the answer to you question...

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll be looking into the cam chain tensioner problem too. If my OEM tensioner hasn't failed yet does that mean it's not a defective one or just hasn't gone out yet and eventually will?

defective by design - not that it explodes or anything. OK, don't replace it. I don't care.

It is not a sure thing that it will fail, but there are several of your year that have. It is a poor design, and one they changed yearly for the first four years of production. Even if it doesn't go out on you it does continually stretch the cam chain because it holds it under way too much tension.