Sign in to follow this  

Fan or No Fan (new owner question)

I just bought a 2002 DRZ-400 with a Thumper 470 kit. Now retiring my 1990 DR350, this is the first water cooled bike I have owned. The bike started out as a DRZ400S street model, then the person I bought it from stripped off everything, then added all the high end goodies. It is plated, and I plan to use it for dual sports.

In the box of removed parts I got there was an electric fan. I read in one of the forums that the fan can't be used with Devol radiator guards, which mine has. So the question: Do I need a fan? It appears that it can be put back on with a simple bracket modification. I ride in So. Cal, so it gets hot here.

Also the surge tank for the radiator- should it be dry if the bike has been sitting, or should it be like a car with some coolant in it?

One unrelated question- When traveling at low throttle position (like down a gently sloping fire road, the bike stumbles when applying throttle. It has a 41 mm Keihin (sp?), FMF Q exhaust. Any suggestions?

Thanks- I've only had the bike about a week, so I'm learning!

I'd at least think about getting a set of unabiker guards for the radiator's. You can get them for the S, in fact I have a set on an R, that would allow you to use the fan.

None of the off road versions have fans 🙂

I have enough coolent so that just a bit remains in the tank when cold. This allows me to monitor it and make sure it is not low.

If I were you, I would put the fan back on. Assuming it's not too big a hassle that is. I was riding last night in sand, and my motor was just cooking. That fan stayed on forever. After awhile, I stop just to let the motor cool a bit.