Sign in to follow this  

Reiter area Airlift Today

I just got back with my wife and kids from Reiter. I went out to test my Rekluse autoclutch on the 450. It's great by the way. My wife had to call 911 on her

cell phone because 3 guys were riding (a bike and 2 quads) and one of the

quads went off and wrecked, I think on a corner. They had to airlift him out to Seattle. He broke some ribs and a stick went through the bottom of his mouth and through his tongue. His buddy was pretty shaken up when he came back to look for a phone. At least he was still alive. It made me want to ride a bit slower.

I always worry when I'm by myself that something might happen but I take it much easier. Up at Cle Elum a cell phone doesn't do you a lot of good if nobody is around to drive to get a signal. At least at Reiter you have cell phone service (and a very close fire station at Gold Bar).

Wow, that is scary.

I carry a first aid kit ... not enough I know ... and am planning on taking first aid and CPR here soon. There was a backcountry emergency rescue class not too long ago but it was during the week, and too ahrd to get time off to go to. If there's another one I'll do it for sure.

Yeah, it was a bit scary but we know bad things can happen. My wife was worried since I was riding alone but I told her I always take it easy when I'm by myself.

I carry tank bags but only carry tools and sometimes extra gas. It might be a good idea to throw in some first aid gear also. Of course, with something like that, you'd be in bad shape.

I just got back with my wife and kids from Reiter. I went out to test my Rekluse autoclutch on the 450. It's great by the way. My wife had to call 911 on her

cell phone because 3 guys were riding (a bike and 2 quads) and one of the

quads went off and wrecked, I think on a corner. They had to airlift him out to Seattle. He broke some ribs and a stick went through the bottom of his mouth and through his tongue. His buddy was pretty shaken up when he came back to look for a phone. At least he was still alive. It made me want to ride a bit slower.

I always worry when I'm by myself that something might happen but I take it much easier. Up at Cle Elum a cell phone doesn't do you a lot of good if nobody is around to drive to get a signal. At least at Reiter you have cell phone service (and a very close fire station at Gold Bar).

Whenever I hear about things like this, my sympathy is dampened by two questions. Was alcohol involved? Was this person riding significantly faster than conditions allowed for?

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers who hurt themselves or stupid drivers who get in a wreck going around a 25mph corner at 50+ and I have to apply the same rules to motorcyles and ATV's. Too many people ride in an unsafe manner or under the influence of drugs or alcohol and there is no excuse for that.

Greg

I wondered that also but my wife said they had just gotten there after I took off and they just rode (no drinking). I talked to the 2 other guys when they got back from showing the paramedics where he was. They didn't seem drunk. As far as speed, I don't know. I know I've probably taken a corner too fast before though by misjudging. It's kind of the nature of riding that you make mistakes sometimes.

It's hard to make judgments about "too fast for conditions" since by nature in our sport we tend to push the boundaries, and even within the range of a person's abilities or the current terrain, anyone can make simple mistakes. Now the guy trying to jump some huge ramp or whatever, that's a little different, but up in the woods, it's hard to say what was too fast and what was safe.

Morris, I carry a $6.99 Coleman first aid pouch I got at Fred Meyer, but I usually add a couple more things--those Ace wrap bandages that stick to themselves instead of needing clips are good to have. I can't remember what else I carry right now. Usually some benadryl and aleve too just in case. I guess safety wire and zip ties can be used to improvise a LOT if you need to!

quads tend to have bad crashes. there's really no such thing as low-siding on a quad. pretty much every crash is a high-side. add that to the fact that only an uncoordinated fat out-of-shape spaz would ride a quad in the first place and you have a recipe for serious injury.

sticks are bad tho. i put a tree branch most of the way through my knee a few years back (mtn biking) and i didn't like it very much.

Lets add the third question, were they wearing helmets?

GB 🙂

actually, I probably see as many no-helmet wearing idiots riding clapped-out CRs as I do quads.

reiter is one of my favorite places to ride as I love the challenging terrain and if you know the trails there is some awesome single track and views, but I worry about that place as it's also a mecca for low-life morons.

Speaking of quad wrecks, last Sunday I was riding sweep at the Superdirt poker run and we came up on a quad that had completely ripped the front right wheel off! Not good. 🙂 Then we came up on a family where one kid was on a quad, the other on a bike and the dad was on a quad (he didn't have a helmet on either.) The kid on the quad proceeds across the road and up the trail which is on a side hill. I'm not really sure what happended next, but all of a sudden the quad and the kid are rolling down the side hill! 🙂 They probably rolled about 20 feet before smacking into the gravel road! The kid was so lucky that the quad didn't roll on top of him. But, he didn't have his helmet straped on so it went flying off! He totally could have been killed or paralyzed or something. Oh yeah, we didn't come up to any BIKES with problems!! Just QUADS!!

It's hard to make judgments about "too fast for conditions" since by nature in our sport we tend to push the boundaries, and even within the range of a person's abilities or the current terrain, anyone can make simple mistakes. QUOTE]

Agreed. That is why I emphasized significantly. I never like to see people get hurt.

🙂

Greg

I have nothing against quads and doubt that those who ride quads are all fat and out of shape. I don't own a quad but when I'm too old to lift a leg over my bikes you can bet I'll be riding a big four wheel drive quad.

I am against stupid riding without the proper safety equipment. I also am very much against riding while under the influence of any kind of drug that makes you less inhibited and more likely to ride beyond your ability.

It's one thing to break your own neck because of pushing the envelope but quite often innocent folks suffer at the hands of hotdogs. These kinds of riders will ruin it for us all in the end.

As far as these young folks go it may simply been an accident due to inexperience. And I hope all goes well for the young man.

I have nothing against quads and doubt that those who ride quads are all fat and out of shape. I don't own a quad but when I'm too old to lift a leg over my bikes you can bet I'll be riding a big four wheel drive quad.

you are wrong. all who ride quads are fat and out of shape. you even admit that you're going to wait until you're fat and out of shape before you turn into a quadtard.

don't mean to turn this into a quad-bashing thread, but to me, every thread is a quad-bashing thread. 🙂

i personally would rather not ride than ride a quad. once i get that old, fat, lazy and stupid i'll learn to play guitar or build model trains or something. 🙂

Have a friend who works in an ER and he was saying that quads represent the #1 motorsports injury in the ER. Outpace JetSkis, Motorcycles, etc. In the case of motorcycles it is almost a 15:1 ratio.

the things are dangerous but the most dangerous are the parents who put a 6 year old kid on one thinking that because it has four wheels it must be safer than a motorcycle.

..................but I usually add a couple more things--those Ace wrap bandages that stick to themselves instead of needing clips are good to have.............!

That might be Coban, great stuff!! I carry it with me all of the time.. even have a bunch of it with me now in Thailand..... Too bad it's no good for heat stroke.. Good GAWD it's HOT here!! 🙂🙂

KTMChick-

Speaking of the Superdirt, did you see (or hear about) the little kid on the Honda 50 that "whiskey-throttled" his bike into a camper's door....and ripped the door right off? It all happened in the parking lot. Kid was OK....camper wasn't.

Jeff