Sign in to follow this  

What's the best way to cut a hole in the grips for handguards?

I did this once woth a utility knife but didnt like the outcome. I just installed new grips and am riding without the cycra pro handgaurds at the moment but will install them soon....got any tricks to cutting a hole into the end of the grips? 🙂

I always used a piece of 7/8" brass tubing with one end sharpened with a file or grinder. Put it in the grip and on something firm like a piece of wood and hit the other end with a mallet. I used a rubber dead-blow hammer. The sharpened end makes an almost perfect hole. I did find that sometimes I had to trim just a bit more , but not much.

James

sounds like a good idea....unfortunetly the grips are on the bike.....so i'll have to make that my method of choice the next time

cut it with an exacto or some other crafty knife then use a drimel with a sanding drum on it to make it nice and smooth, thats what I did. 🙂

• Like 1

I just hit the end of the grip (on the bars) with a hammer, let the bars cut the hole for you. It'll probably need a little exacto trimming, but that's it.

7/8" copper pipe sharpened on the end. Slide the grip on and whack it against the table.

Use a torch...

The hammer method was the first one to my mind, and Im not even kidding.

Its kind of brutal, but you could just drop the bike in the garage and let it land right on the bar end...

Better idea...small block of wood between the bar end and hammer..

but its funner with the torch...

If you have an air compressor you can blow air under the grips to get them off. I use a 15/16 butterfly bit which works out perfectly to drill out the ends.

T-Diddy

I like to freeze the grips solid using liquid nitrogen and then cut out the end using a milling machine with a 0.875" broach.

Or, you can just whack it with a rubber mallet and let the bars do the work for you.

crashing works for me - rips nice holes in the end of the grips.

but it is hard to crash evenly on both sides.

I like to freeze the grips solid using liquid nitrogen and then cut out the end using a milling machine with a 0.875" broach.

Or, you can just whack it with a rubber mallet and let the bars do the work for you.

Very nice...I like it...

Sideswiping a stucco house at 50-60 mph would work nicely too...

Or you could get pinched between two semi's on the freeway while cutting traffic. I have personal first hand knowledge of the effectiveness on that one...I still miss that old XL600...