Sign in to follow this  

How many gears do you prefer?

This question is mostly aimed at those who ride motocross and not so much for trail riders, trials, and enduros. But if you have something to say, let hear it!

3 gears is all u need for mx. starts in 2nd gear. turns in 2nd or 3rd gear. and 4th for the straights. IMO

4 gears (i just say that, because that's all i got on the 450) anyways, i loved having 6 gears on my YZ125.. anyways...

for mx, alls i use is 1st gear for starts on my 125, 2nd for turns, 3rd and 4th for long straights

i never use 4th or 5th gears unless im in a big open area

I use 1st through 3rd most of the time and occasionally hit 4th. Heck, I didn't even realize my bike had 5th until I read the manual. 🙂

Cool. Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to figure out which is better: a 450 4 speed or 5 speed. I would think 4 have the benefit of less shifting while 5 speeds would offer more power if that makes sense. Shifting on my 250 gets old! I'm looking forward to getting a 450 but wonder how much of an advantage (or disadvantage) 4 speeds would be.

I haven't ridden a 450, so I don't really even know the power.

On my 250F I go through most turns in either 2nd or 3rd. I hit most jumps in either 3rd or 4th, sometimes 5th. I don't like to scream the bike, so usually I hit jumps in a gear higher than most people.

StART IN 2ND

Use 2nd and 3rd most the time

1st on one corner and 4th on the straight.

Theres no way you could get by with only three gears on most tracks that have a straight or high speed section and only great riders could get by without first.

My 4 work just fine for me. I like being able to go around the track mostly in 3rd.🙂

only great riders could get by without first.

I remember reading Travis Preston's article where he was getting used to his 450 on the Honda SX track. He was riding through the track in first and second. MC told him not to shift between first and second. Of course he didn't listen, and ended up hitting neutral before a jump. I bet that would have hurt.

I think a 4 speed would be nice. A little taller 1st gear and get rid of 5th. I'm rarely in 5th on my 450 unless I'm out trail riding and it opens up. I don't think I've been in 5th on a moto track (on purpose).

Every time I ride MX I wish I only had 2nd, 3rd and 4th.