Sign in to follow this  

450R Too Snappy

I have an '03 450R and ride some very tight and technical single track. It gives me some trouble as the power comes on very fast. It is too snappy in the tight stuff and just wears me out. What are some good mods that will smooth out the power?

Steahly flywheel

White Bros +5' cam gear

Vortex Ignition

A muffler with a bit more back pressure. ( I use white bros E series )

A dropper style header would probably help

I have an '02 450 that is used for enduro with those mods and it is an awesome bush bike.

There is a guy on here that will convert it to a crf400. That should take care of all that annoying power. Do a search for crf400, trust me its worth the laugh.

Well if you wanted to take some of the snap out, you could bump the pilot jet to say...50....that'd mellow it out...

The biggest available flywheel wieght is what you want though...that and a rekluse clutch...

you should not have bought a 450R if it is to much for you.......take it back...get a CRF250R and if anything beaf that up but do not detune a bike cause it is to much for you....either learn to ride it right or get rid of it....thats how i see it.....i got a 450 and i am always adding to it or tuning it to run faster and yes i use the power full time when i am on the track.....if you do detune it i would not post it if you do.......alot of people might not like that to much and start throwing rotten fruit at you.....or is that just me?

there are some new throttle tubes avaiable that require more turn and really helps the control .

He didn't say it was too much power, just that it is too snappy for the kind of riding he does. From what I understand, the weighted flywheel smooths things out. How exactly does that work? Do you lose any power by adding a weighted flywheel? Does the top end suffer?

Falicon heavy crank option. 2 pounds heavier than stock plus with a falicon knife rod. It will still rip the wheels off it but very conrollable

I know just what you mean

Put a 14t front sprocket on. That will mellow out first and make it more usable

I like the power, I dont want less power. I just want less of a hit when I am trying to finess the bike in between giant bolders right out of a sharp turn with an extremely steep fall away. Dont tell me to get a smaller bike, or tell me I dont know how to ride. I could probably ride a lot of you into the ground. I have been riding a 450 for years, I know how to ride it, I just want it so it doesnt wear me out as quickly so I can have more FUN. Thank you to everyone who gave me helpful information.

I put a nine oz. flywheel weight and a Rekluse autoclutch on my 02 450. The thing is so easy to ride in the tight ugly bush that it's just amazing. I'm sure that I could teach anyone how to ride with this setup.

Yep The Trail Tech Is The Way To Go No Power Loss At All It Just Takes The Snap Out And It. And Tell All These Jerks That Have Wise Comments To Put There Crf Where The Sun Don't Shine!! Ride On Man!

you should not have bought a 450R if it is to much for you.......take it back...get a CRF250R and if anything beaf that up but do not detune a bike cause it is to much for you....either learn to ride it right or get rid of it....thats how i see it.....i got a 450 and i am always adding to it or tuning it to run faster and yes i use the power full time when i am on the track.....if you do detune it i would not post it if you do.......alot of people might not like that to much and start throwing rotten fruit at you.....or is that just me?

It is just you. And he wasn't asking for your ego trip. He was asking for USEFUL advice.

Now with that being said. I would recommend, as others have, a flywheel weight or complete flywheel. I have an '03 that I use for track and woods. I originally bought a Stealhy 9 oz. flywheel weight and that worked well all around. Then I tried a complete 35 oz. trailtech flywheel (adds 13 oz.) and it was even better in the woods. Still enough power on the track too, just more controllable in the woods.