Sign in to follow this  

Timing chain stretched?

Hi

I have 02 WR250F and it has started making a small clattering noise which i have been told (by mechanic) is the timing chain. Can it be stretched after only 4000klms 🙂 The tensioner is working fine and is only 1/4 extended when tensioning chain.

Any ideas?

is it good practice to replace the guides when replacing the chain because they are "mated" surfaces? the guides arnt particularly cheap over here.

is it good practice to replace the guides when replacing the chain because they are "mated" surfaces? the guides arnt particularly cheap over here.

Absolutely no reason to if there is no signs of wear.

The cam sprockets will probley be mated to the chain so if its cheap enough you may want to do that at the same time.

The cam sprockets will probley be mated to the chain so if its cheap enough you may want to do that at the same time.
Let's see...the cam sprockets are part of the cam assemblies, and the crank sprocket cut directly on the left crank axle... 'sound cheap?

Outback,

I would first compare your bike to another similar unit and see if there is anything actually unusual in the noise it makes. 4000km sounds a little short for chain service life (it's only 2500 miles, and at 55km (35 mph) average speed, it's only 71 hours.) I usually recommend replacing the chain every one to two seasons, which for me is about 125-250 hours, depending on how hard you ride. But, they are cheap and easy to change.

Thanks for your advice grayracer513

Yes its a bit stange that the chain condition may be in doubt at its relatively young age, and from what I can see it looks fine. But for the fact that it is an inexpensive item to replace (and an important one) I may aswell replace it.

if your very mechanically inclined just replace it for about 20 bucks

Where can I get a cam chain for $20?

dude your bike is fine...i bought the very first yz250f that arrived and I will bet it has more hours than any other 250 out there...and mine has been put through hell. its been a converted into a super motard stunt bike (rev-limit coasters, hot/smokey coolant spilling burnouts and long wheelies where I wonder if the oil pick-up was getting oil). All bikes get louder as they aquire time. Yeah its a good habit to replace your chain when you rebuild your motor. But I wouldnt go out of your way to do so. These things have an extremely low failure rating and you do not need new chain guides.