Sign in to follow this  

Suspension ? for Street SM (YZ or WR?)

I am considering buying a WR450f or YZ450f for dirt, and possible street SM use/conversion.

I hear talk of just setting the clickers to "stiffer" settings, and also of re-valving, etc.

However, if I just keep the suspension stock, is the YZ or WR suspension better for street SM? If so, why? (I intend to use it just for twisties, not for any actual SM tracks... OK, maybe some go-kart tracks or something, but not real racing!)

What is the difference in suspension characteristics for a street SM machine compared to a dirt bike? Should I even care? Also, how does a good street SM suspension differ significantly from, say, a high-performance sport bike? (In terms of how it feels and performs from the rider's perspective)

Whatever the dirt bike suspension, are there typical "setting" changes one would make for SM, such as triple-clamp height/sag/compression/rebound? Do these give you most of the benefit needed for fun street performance without custom work?

Any help appreciated.

I've been playing with my DR350 on the street and at a motard track night. It's softer than a pack of cotton balls but as long as I ride it smoothly the bike feels fine. Just pay a little more attention to the transitions from braking to turning so they blend better. Also be sure that the bike settles evenly under turn in loads. Adjust the preloads so it does. If one end or the other squats further and faster than the other it'll affect how the steering feels.

I raced my 2000 YZ426 and my 2003 YZ450 on stock suspension no problem. Just click to stiff and go. The only thing I would recommend is to make sure you have the correct rear spring. I'm a fat a$$ so I needed a different spring. Too soft and you will totally grind your pegs off and the boss that mounts the pegs to the frame.

🙂

I actually have an unbelievable YZ450 that I raced at Pikes Peak for sale right now. PM me if interested and I will email you pics. Or email direct at roostn67 @ yahoo . com (no spaces).