Sign in to follow this  

Can you skip obsticals during a race?

What do the rules say about skipping an obstical during a race? I know that the obvious answer is (if you can't do all of the obsticals you shoudn't be racing), but there are some tracks I just can't dial in. On another post, a guy was describing how newbies prefer jumps with longer take-offs because it's easier to level the bike out in the air. A track that I went to the other day has doubles with really steep jump faces. It's do or die. I know that I can do them, but I just haven't nutted up to the challenge. So, if I race there, can I just ride around them (assuming that I don't advance a position)? In the end, I'll just stick to racing on tracks where I can do everything, but I just wanted to know what the rules say.

No you can not skip them you have to either jump them or roll them. What tracks in Ohio do you ride at.

Skippng a obstacle only hurts you in the end. Just learn it and make yourself better. Thats the whole point right. Instead of eating nachos and hanging out between motos, watch a faster rider do it and try what he does.

I've only ever raced in harescramble's, and the guy's going around the jump's were the fastest... including the guy who owned the place.... At any of the races I've been to it has been purely optional to hit the obstacles. Pretty much anything goes, if you can find a faster line, it's all good, it's not cheating, just taking a better line. Everyone seems to have their own preferance. Mind you these are not highly competitive races, no money prizes or anything, just a good day of riding.

Yeah theres a double like that at one of my local tracks... The take off is real steep....but thats not the problem...like ive hit jumps with steeper take offs, its just theres not much room to get power. For now I just roll it, because most of the people in my class (125C) cant hit it. I would jump it if it was November at the end of the season. Im just afriad im gonna beef it and be out the whole summer....

Stop on the side and watch people do it. See what line they take into it, if they seat bounce, if they scrub, if they gun it, if they putt it...

It'll boost your confidence too. Just gun it and hope for the best. Land rear wheel first if you won't clear it.

Thanks for the replies. For those familiar with D12 tracks, it Bean's. I always have a hard time at that track. The owner claims that it is Brock Sellards' practice track, and maybe everything is extra peaked because he and Danny Smith were there yesterday. I was watching some guys who were way faster than me and they were really struggling to get through this section. The otside line is like a super kicker, you can't roll it. I swear that Travis would have no problem doing a backflip off this thing. The inside line is a double then a table top. The double isn't that big, but there isn't any room to roll it. The distance isn't any big deal, it's just the takeoff angle.

Not to many people go to this track to race. That's why I asked the question. Last year I got a first place, but that was only because the other guy wadded it up in another class that he was racing. So it's a good place to get some points.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Just roll it like the rules say. Who knows maybe your competition will roll it as well.

You need more practice if the tracks are that challenging that you need to skip obstacles.

With practice you will wonder what the fuss is about.

Ride practice there a lot. When you see somone you recognize, maybe race with in your class, see what they do. When you get anxious enough to really want to do it, follow someone that you see doing it that is about the same riding skill/pace as you. Follow them for a few laps, then close your eyes hold on tight and go for it.

Once you do it, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

From what I've seen at the races, if you skip an obstical deliberatley you will be DQ'ed but if you are in the mist of a bail and have to go around to avoid a bad situation, like fish taling before a jump and get spun to the side, they are generaly cool about it.