Sign in to follow this  

Bad news for a proud RMZ450 owner

Hey guys, been reading this forum for a while now and I have to say its great. There is such a wealth of knowledge here, and opinions too. Any way, I recently purchased a RMZ 450. I bought it exactly 2 months ago. I love this bike and never regretted buying it. 🙂 Instantly was comfortable on it.

I have a friend that is a formal kawasaki\suzuki certified tech (harley davidson now) at a dealer who does all my maintenance. He is also my riding buddie. We ride about twice a week pretty much all day. We both have years of riding under our belt and place good in B class.

Well all has been great till about 2 weeks ago. I noticed a progressively louder noise coming from the engine. We have done all the timing chain and valve adjustments as scheduled. Everything was good up top. So I rode it again for a short session and the noise still was there. So my friend did some troubleshooting on the engine tonight and noticed there was some play between the motion of the crank and the piston. He then proceeded to tear down the top end. Once the head was off there was noticable wear on the exhaust and intake sides of the cylinder. Nothing terrible but more than usual. Then we pulled the cylinder and found that the crank rod pin bearing was toast. 🙂 I'm talking an 8th of an inch of play. Also the piston pin was scored where it contacts the rod. :D

Needles to say, I wasn't happy. :D In disbelief really. This was my first new bike. I have always rode 2 or 3 year old bikes. Finally decided to get a new bike because I was tired of the small mechanical problems that happen on these bikes. So after weeks of deliberation, and hours on this website, I bought the RMZ. Kinda regretting it now a little. Especially since I have sold my older bike already.

I am going to my local dealer here in NC tomorrow. He is a pretty good guy so I hope he can sweet talk the factory into helping with this problem. My friend says that it was a defect in material that caused the problem. The cams and shim buckets and valves all look like brand new. But he noticed that the cam chain was stiff. The links in the chain were binding and sticking when moved. It would hold its shape when moved. Definately not normal. Engine oil still looked new. I probably have about 25 hours on it. And haven't even been to a race yet. Just pratice laps. And it's not from overeving, because I like lugging the gears and shortshifting. That's what this bike likes.

Well Just thought I would share my sorrow. I really love riding and this is hard to take. I definatley don't have the money to fix it now. Hopefully suzuki will help .:D I love the bike but I have lost confidence in it now. My friend rides a honda and suggested me buying one too. But I always liked suzuki and wanted to be different. Awesome bike though. I will post again later when some calls are made and hopefully good new is in hand.

I wish you the best of luck. Oh yea.. Suzukis aren't the most reliable. Hondas are as are yamis.

Go to the crf board for a bit and trip on all of the problems that are posted on there. I Haven't seen near as many complaints or problems here as I have on the crf board. Good luck all the same though.

did you just say hondas were reliable

You took the words right out of my mouth. My friend is a bike mechanic (Kawi dealer) and they're doing pretty good business right now.....rebuilding CRF250/450 engines....cause?.....valves and cam problems. Yes it's a Kawi dealer but he's a very very good mechanic and alot of riders know him. I really wish the friggin RED BRIGADE would get a grip and stop slagging every other colour when their Holier Then Thou have as much if not more trouble.

By the way...sorry to hear about the engine troubles 🙂 Good luck with the dealer 🙂

sounds like you're doing a bit of "slapping" yourself, eh?

In Europe, race bikes have a 3 months garanty.

Isn't it the same in the US ? You said you bought the bike 2 months ago.

I wish you good luck solving the issue with your dealer.

That $100 I paid for the extended warranty doesnt sound like a bad deal now... I have to believe Suzuki will take care of it, especially with a certified Suzuki mechanic looking at it.

One of your sentences makes it sound like "the oil still looks new after 25 hours...my engine broke". Im sure thats not how you meant it but still funny...

IMPORTANT NOTE: The bike is down on a long weekend. Your going to need a much bigger cooler.

Go to the crf board for a bit and trip on all of the problems that are posted on there. I Haven't seen near as many complaints or problems here as I have on the crf board. Good luck all the same though.

Yeah but the CRF board has 23000 topics, and this one has 500. Go figure eh.

It doesn't matter what brand you buy - there are lemons out there everywhere. The Suzukis are Reliable as hell. He just got a bad bike and hopefully Suzuki will recognize it. I wouldn't buy a Honda for all of the valve issues (especially the 250F) they've have had and I like Hondas too!

Greg

Atone, My buddy had his rmz450 lock up, crank bearing gone!, did damage to top end in the process. He was trying to get our dealer to cover it (suzuki). I havent heard if he did yet. I know that when he first got the bike he went through the thing, greasing the swingarm and such, and he routed the crank vent hose wrong, and it pinched somehow and he blew the counter shaft seal out. He had thought he caught it in time before too much oil loss. I know he rode alot after that, until the meltdown. I have a rmz450 myself and love it, but I dont have much time on it, I hope this isnt a problem that we all must endure. Im sorry to hear of yours, hope it works out.....

Hey guys, been reading this forum for a while now and I have to say its great. There is such a wealth of knowledge here, and opinions too. Any way, I recently purchased a RMZ 450. I bought it exactly 2 months ago. I love this bike and never regretted buying it. 🙂 Instantly was comfortable on it.

I have a friend that is a formal kawasaki\suzuki certified tech (harley davidson now) at a dealer who does all my maintenance. He is also my riding buddie. We ride about twice a week pretty much all day. We both have years of riding under our belt and place good in B class.

Well all has been great till about 2 weeks ago. I noticed a progressively louder noise coming from the engine. We have done all the timing chain and valve adjustments as scheduled. Everything was good up top. So I rode it again for a short session and the noise still was there. So my friend did some troubleshooting on the engine tonight and noticed there was some play between the motion of the crank and the piston. He then proceeded to tear down the top end. Once the head was off there was noticable wear on the exhaust and intake sides of the cylinder. Nothing terrible but more than usual. Then we pulled the cylinder and found that the crank rod pin bearing was toast. 🙂 I'm talking an 8th of an inch of play. Also the piston pin was scored where it contacts the rod. :D

Needles to say, I wasn't happy. :D In disbelief really. This was my first new bike. I have always rode 2 or 3 year old bikes. Finally decided to get a new bike because I was tired of the small mechanical problems that happen on these bikes. So after weeks of deliberation, and hours on this website, I bought the RMZ. Kinda regretting it now a little

. Especially since I have sold my older bike already.

I am going to my local dealer here in NC tomorrow. He is a pretty good guy so I hope he can sweet talk the factory into helping with this problem. My friend says that it was a defect in material that caused the problem. The cams and shim buckets and valves all look like brand new. But he noticed that the cam chain was stiff. The links in the chain were binding and sticking when moved. It would hold its shape when moved. Definately not normal. Engine oil still looked new. I probably have about 25 hours on it. And haven't even been to a race yet. Just pratice laps. And it's not from overeving, because I like lugging the gears and shortshifting. That's what this bike likes.

Well Just thought I would share my sorrow. I really love riding and this is hard to take. I definatley don't have the money to fix it now. Hopefully suzuki will help .:D I love the bike but I have lost confidence in it now. My friend rides a honda and suggested me buying one too. But I always liked suzuki and wanted to be different. Awesome bike though. I will post again later when some calls are made and hopefully good new is in hand.

I had to replace my cam chain because it was doing the same thing.

I have a budy that works on bikes and he said about 99% of the CRF's that came into his shop with serious issues were all caused by owner error. He's seen guys putting oil the wrong spots etc.

Ive got about 60 hours on mine and the top end looks like new. The intake valves tightened up a little but after adjustment it runs better than ever...may have been alittle tight from the factory.

If there was a serious design problem, they would have found it last year in Europe and fixed it. Im sure thats what they did a bunch of times, break it fix it and make it stronger, repeat.

Sounds like i'm talking to the suzuki die-hards. I'm not sure about today but Honda has always had the rep. of the most reliable. sry 🙂

Sounds like i'm talking to the suzuki die-hards. I'm not sure about today but Honda has always had the rep. of the most reliable. sry 🙂

Based on which statistics?

The japanese all know how to make reliable bikes...even in different colors.

Ahem... 🙂

I believe we've seen 2 episodes of Chad Reeds Yammy dead at the starting line this season. I like Suzuki and Honda myself... hate yamaha's - they just feel dated and out of balance. My Zook 450 rocks though! 🙂

The Yamaha's are very reliable at our level. At Chad's level they are only built to run one race. And I dont mean he wears the bike out that fast (which I hear he is hard on bikes) just that the bike is so finely tuned that to get that performance they are also running alot of risk. I do have to admit though that the zook 450 has really surprised me on reliability. I would say it's comparable to my yamaha's. I havent even had to adjust the valves yet. Going into the bike I was nervous about all of that though with the 250's issues. Honda's are good bikes too. The problem and the reason IMO why you hear so much about them braking is because everyone has one, including the morons that dont know how to take care of them or dont bother even trying. I think we've been lucky in this forum not to have had anyone that doesnt keep up on maintenance buy one of these yet.

Sorry about your luck with the new RMZ. I hope you get it taken care of and can enjoy the bike.

The Yamaha's are very reliable at our level. At Chad's level they are only built to run one race. And I dont mean he wears the bike out that fast (which I hear he is hard on bikes) just that the bike is so finely tuned that to get that performance they are also running alot of risk. I do have to admit though that the zook 450 has really surprised me on reliability. I would say it's comparable to my yamaha's. I havent even had to adjust the valves yet. Going into the bike I was nervous about all of that though with the 250's issues. Honda's are good bikes too. The problem and the reason IMO why you hear so much about them braking is because everyone has one, including the morons that dont know how to take care of them or dont bother even trying. I think we've been lucky in this forum not to have had anyone that doesnt keep up on maintenance buy one of these yet.

Sorry about your luck with the new RMZ. I hope you get it taken care of and can enjoy the bike.

I agree actually and I love the CRF, but I cant afford to go 60hrs or less for each top-end. Which is why I'll either go with a RMZ450 or a 2-stroke because the new Yamaha looks like shitz and the kawasaki 450 took the award for the uglyist bike of the year. I mean look at the rear end of the bike, it looks like some retarded fat guy sat on it. Pretty soon I'll be making a topic asking all the owners about my concerns about reliability and just how do you like this and that questions.

Sorry about your bike dude. Come to think of it, the only bikes i ever heard do that is well, 2-strokes lol. Oh and also motors that have too little oil pressure and starved to death. The only thing i dont like about the RMZ is well that rear fender. I mean its too different to like lol. I love that RM250 rear fender though.