Sign in to follow this  

Turning 450R into an X

I ride open trails, single track and rugged terrain here in Colorado. I would like to know if anyone has turned their 450R into a long range trail riding machine.

I would like to change out my gearing for a more user-friendly wide ratio that will lug when I need it to. What else do I need to do to it? How big of a rear tire can I run?

🙂

Currently running with:

Skid plate

Baja tank

Bar guards

FMF power core 4 pipe (spark arrested --- makes tree huggers happy)

So basically, it is like a suicide machine through the rocks.

Thanks for your feed back

Z

Hello,

Do a search, there is quite a bit of info from the pre-X days. I think woods setup, brings up some.

Here is what I run, I ride TIGHT single track, and it still tires me out. My KTM is much easier to ride a HS with.

It is an 02'

Suspension mods

FMF Q

FMF Powerbomb header

53 or 52 tooth rear sprocket (not going to win any top speed awards)

appropriate guards

11oz fly wheel

I think that's about it. Like I said, it tires me out. It is kind of for sale, since I ride my EXC more.

Hey Mud,

Woods setup?? What / where??? I have not yet come across a web site with any info on setting up an R for trail / long range riding. If you have a link to something I would sure like to give it a browse.

Thanks

re: gearing. i rode with slcpunk in utah this spring. he has a 450r with a rekluse auto clutch. we were riding some fairly technical terrain and he said with the auto clutch he didn't need any lower gearing.

mw

I have set my 02 up for desert racing, but still do alot of trail riding. Thats the great thing about these bikes, they will do just about anything. I have done everything from Race desert and Moto on this bike, to riding the infamous trail, 5 miles of hell if you are familiar with it. Stock, the bikes are pretty high geared for trail use, but a good pilot can make it work, you just have to ride a bit more aggressive to keep it from stalling. If you don't want to ride really aggresively, start by gearing it down a bit, if you still want it mellower, add flywheel weight or an auto clutch. A steering damper works really well on these bikes, that and the suspension mods were the best improvements I have made. I have kept the stock 19" rear wheel even after I bought new wheels for it, I like the crisp turning you get out of a 19", but the 18" would be somewhat more resisitant to flats and are supposed to have better traction, but thats a matter of opinion. I ride some of the nastiest, rockiest stuff on the face of the planet and don't get any more flats than all my buddys with 18's, but I do run Fly super duty tubes. If I were you, I would start by buying a good o-ring chain setup with a larger rear sprocket, then have you suspension revalved and sprung if you are a bit heavier. I have done a couple over 100 mile rides, and lots of 80+ mile desert races. Before I had my suspension reworked, I was always sore after even a 40+ mile ride. Now I can go for long hard rides, and get up the next morning and do it again. My personal reccomendation is www.proracingsuspension.com , he had done alot of work for me, and really knows how to make these bikes ride well. 🙂