Sign in to follow this  

450x jetting

what size main and slow jets are you running in the bike???

i changed the needle, smaller taper i think.. but i still think

it needs a bigger main and slow jet.....

thanx....... 🙂

160 main 50 pilot,disconnct the pinkwire on the cdi remove filter screen and baffle

what size main and slow jets are you running in the bike???

i changed the needle, smaller taper i think.. but i still think

it needs a bigger main and slow jet.....

thanx....... 🙂

What are your complaints with the bike? Jetting depends alot on the altitude etc.. where you are riding. I would spend $80 and get the jd jetting kit and a zip-ty air screw. It's worth every penny...

160 main 50 pilot,disconnct the pinkwire on the cdi remove filter screen and baffle

thanx...

what dose removing the pink wire do?? and is it the muffler baffle???

disconnecting the pinkwire gets you about 1000rpm more,useless unless you jet up and open the airbox up and remove exhaust baffle or get a pipe,also,try running your exhaust valve clearances at 8thou instead of 11thou this will get you a little more up top,pink wire is behind the left sidecover in a 6 pin connector that only has 5 wires and an empty hole with a small rubber bung that you pull out and place the pink wire into.

I have read about putting a 250R CDI in the 450R to get more high end power (giving up some low end power). Has anyone tried this on the 450X since it needs more high end power help than the 450R?

What are your complaints with the bike? Jetting depends alot on the altitude etc.. where you are riding. I would spend $80 and get the jd jetting kit and a zip-ty air screw. It's worth every penny...

Whats the air screw? Is that the same as the fuel mixture screw?

Do a search on my name buckboss1. I've asked every question, you have. Thread is called Baffle in/out.....

Whats the air screw? Is that the same as the fuel mixture screw?

Same thing. Zip-ty makes one, xrsonly has one as well I think.

disconnecting the pinkwire gets you about 1000rpm more,useless unless you jet up and open the airbox up and remove exhaust baffle or get a pipe,also,try running your exhaust valve clearances at 8thou instead of 11thou this will get you a little more up top,pink wire is behind the left sidecover in a 6 pin connector that only has 5 wires and an empty hole with a small rubber bung that you pull out and place the pink wire into.

I've heard that disconnecting the pink wire will extend the rev range about 500 rpm. I've never heard anyone claim 1000 rpm.

Running your exhaust valves tight sounds like a recipe for much shorter valve life, to me.

If the bike is ridden in the conditions for which it was designed, why would an additional 500 rpm at the top be worth much? Especially, if you are sacrificing reliability. This is not the rev range one would normally spend much time in for cross country riding/racing. This is not a road racer, it's a dirt bike.

flux 450x - I would not start jetting your bike until you clearly understand the ramification of each change. You can dig yourself into a very frustrating hole, very quickly and it can be time consuming.

Some of the horror stories you read on these boards are amazing. Often times these issues are the results of people who've tried off the wall jetting. Bigger jets don't necessarily equal better performance. You need to know exactly what symptoms each jetting change addresses. There are a lot of different variables including intake/exhaust setup, altitude, etc. I think the best advice has already been mentioned - get the JD kit. It will get you very close to the right jetting and save you a bunch of time. And, you will notice a difference in real world performance.

In addition, James Dean is remarkably responsive to individual inquiries. If you put his recommended jets in and it doesn't seem right, shoot him an email. He can likely steer you in the right direction very quickly.