Sign in to follow this  

My '05 works suspension phase 2...(long with photos)

If you saw my post a few months ago you know I set out to build the best suspension I could piece by piece. Better than Works 'B' kit or anything else you can buy if you aren't a top pro. Factory Connection got the parts and put them together for me, but everything wasn't available from Showa Japan initially so I had some of it done a few months ago and now it is finally all done. Here are all the stock parts I was left with when it was done(not including the springs):

wparts.jpg

It was interesting to do it in phases to see what does what, and after I ride Saturday I'll have a ride report on phase '2'. It will really be cool because my best friend has a set of Works 'B' kit forks and shock on his '05 now and we will be able to compare and contrast. I can say now though that his Factory Connection revalved/resprung stock suspension was quite a bit better than stock, my stage '1' works suspension was a lot better yet and his 'B' kit works stuff is too. I can't wait to ride!

Here is my works shock(with a Ti spring) next to my stock one:

wshock.jpg

The preload ring on it is pretty cool. It has bearings between it and the spring so the spring can spin freely when it compresses to avoid the binding friction springs do on compression. It feels weird, because even with it tightened down to the correct sag you can spin the spring like it was loose on the shock body. Here's what the preload ring/bearings looks like:

Works_preload_red.jpg

And here is the shock and a works fork leg next to the stockers:

wall.jpg

The works fork uppers are a darker gold than the stock ones, and the lowers are obviously very different....mine are works Honda bronze(so is my shock shaft) and my buddies lowers are works Honda blue. Both look as good as they work, and since I tested in pieces I can say that just the Ti-nitrate lowers make a noticeable difference in the plushness of the forks over stock chrome lowers and aren't total bling.

And no, none of it is worth the money for an amateur racer. I did it because this is what I love and I wanted to. Ride report Monday.

wow, I spent sixteen hundred or so on my bottled, nitrite coated suspenison on my 03. Let me know how it works.

Flyn Ryan Menke

now all you need is some RHC "more than factory bike" power.

No doubt!

🙂

...and some glue on the seat to hold you on when you twist the throttle 🙂

Look at it this way...he has a true, national level bike at this point. There are many pro riders that would be stoked to have that suspension setup...

(there I go showing my age again, "stoked' hahah)

And no, none of it is worth the money for an amateur racer. I did it because this is what I love and I wanted to. Ride report Monday.

Hey none of us do this stuff to save money 🙂

Thanks for posting, kewl info. Looking forward to your ride report!

mxaddict, are you interested in selling your stock fork stanctions?

Quick questions. What are the differences internally between stock and works.

Erik

...and some glue on the seat to hold you on when you twist the throttle 🙂

No joke, I'd love to have it if I could hold on, but the suspension makes it easier to hold on, an RHC fire breather would do the opposite for me, I don't have RC's training schedule! 🙂

Quick questions. What are the differences internally between stock and works.

Erik

Almost everything on mine, coatings mostly on works 'B' kit stuff...I plan to take photos of stock, works 'B' kit and mine to compare when I tear it down for servicing in a month or so.