Sign in to follow this  

Rev Box - Which one?

I know there is not a noticable difference on a stock bike but I want to increase my performace to race my neighbor.

Stock '05 CRF50 - Just a bar kit right now. Looking into a K&N filter and a rev box. I need it to be quiet for the back yard racing so a pipe is out, unless it is quiet like stock.

Help - I am looking at the trail bikes. He has the Big Gun rev box and seems to help with revving quicker. Is there a better one out there and will the trail bikes one be just as good?

Good to see you're concerned about the noise thing. I used a Big Gun box and it worked great. You could also shave the flywheel and change the gearing (I used 13/39) and not raise the db level. A UNI or K + N would help a bit, too. I went stupid on mine and bought one of the Kitaco internal rotor ignitions and loved it!! Very snappy and revved to the moon. I tried a Takagawa cam that supposedly would work with the stock motor but it didn't work except maybe at high RPM--out of the corners it was a slug. You might even try a Wiesco piston--they make one in an 11 to 1 compression ratio. A buddy uses one in his Z-50 and it made a big difference. He put in a cam, too but I'm not sure which one.

At what compression do you need to run race gas? 13:1 I don't want to hassle with the expensive stuff... I run 91 in all my bikes and would like to continue. But the higher compression piston might be the way to go. Can you go to an 88cc kit by using the stock exhaust. I want it as quiet as possible with a lot of horsepower... a major sleeper!

I am going with a K&N filter, eliminating the air box. Should be pretty simple. The bike runs rich already. I get drips out the bottom of the float already and it is brand new. Never need the choke... so I hope the K&N leans out a little and helps.

My buddy has the big gun in his and it revs higher and pulls away pretty good. My goals was to get a better one and try to pull away from him.

I went with the Takegawa Hyper CDI Box and K&N filter - can't wait to install it and try. I will keep you posted.

lame box and lame filter, if you ride in dusty conditions you should really get a foam filter.

Thanks for the words of encouragement...

Well I put on the Takegawa box and K&N filter and I notice more punch but my buddy pulls pretty hard all the way through. :-(

O well. Done enough... may look into a lighter piston with more compression. Maybe that will help.

K&Ns - I have never had a problem with any of mine!!! Most people don't understand you have to CLEAN them everyonce in a while. The people that have had problems are the ones that don't maintain there toys.

Anyways - a bit depressed I didn't get more out of the takegawa box and K&N filter.

you do realize that you cant expect to get much performance gain out of a motor with not much performance to begin with right? there is no replacement for displacement!

five0addict: THANKS for the tip on the 50 mods site. The timing mod is a great idea.

When I did all the mods I never adusted the carb so maybe I was not getting enough fuel to compensate for all the air from the K&N. I dropped the needle jet down one clip.

I found in here that the stock was suppose to be the middle clip but when I pulled it out it was on the second (from the top). So I dropped it to the middle. I am 1/2 turn out on the mixture screw.

Too late to try tonight, will give it a shot in the morning.

If you want to blow your neighbor out of the water in a race go to hondatrailbikes.com.Get one of their 88cc kits even if its the basic $165 kit.Your neightbor wont know what hit him.