Sign in to follow this  

Best Wheelie Bike Ever ?

I'm voting for the 450X. I'm 37 years old and have never been good at wheelies, I bought the X and I can't believe the way I can ride them now.Super smooth power and a huge balance point seems to be the key.What do you guys think?

I can ride some crazy wheelies on my 450R. As long as the straightaway! I havent mastered the wheelie around turns yet.

im 16 abd i like my yz 426 second gear lug it then just gas it man it fun

My vote would have to go to my 1983 XL600. I could wheelie that thing for miles literally...down the freeway...around corners...the front wheel would be at a dead stop...man I liked that bike...I got into more trouble on that thing...I need a smilie thats laughing and shaking his head.. 🙂

Hey Guys,

I have a CRF450 and I'm trying to get the wheelie thing down....

But I can't get up the balls 🙂 to get the front end all the way up there to the balance point.

Can you guys give me pointers?

Hey Guys,

I have a CRF450 and I'm trying to get the wheelie thing down....

But I can't get up the balls 🙂 to get the front end all the way up there to the balance point.

Can you guys give me pointers?

buy a couple of rear fenders and a couple cheap spare levers and go for it...

Doing a wheelie isnt really something you can teach...more a feel thing...

Do what i do, go to a wide open field or long road. Have a friend who already knows how to wheelie on the balance point and thats good at it and have him ride right beside you. He can tell you how high you actually are and how much you need to go. Riding wheelies takes time and a higher comfort level to do it. And as someone stated before. We cant tell or teach you, only you can get a feel. I went from only using 1 gear to being able to shift while in a wheelie to getting the balance point. Now i can catwalk a very long way. I wouldnt say miles just yet but i'll get there and so will you.

Any year of the Yamaha TT-500's. They are the best wheelie bike I ever rode. The weight balance is so much rear wheel biased it's pathetic. You can ride a wheelie for miles though. pdawg 🙂:D🙂

My TT 500s were the best wheeling bikes ever. I geared mine up 2 teeth on the counter shaft, 38mm carb/5160 cam/11.0 piston/exhaust, and looked for RD350s. The bike could wheelie for miles on end in 5th gear.

The best wheelie "bike" I ever owned was an '86 ATC350X. I could wheelie that thing as long as it wouldn't run out of gas. My longest was over 4 miles of beach at Samoa, Ca., it wouldv'e been longer, but I ran out of beach! A few years after that I bought a Banshee and it wheelied OK, but much faster. Then I had the motor leaned on and installed a 5" over swingarm and found out the hard way that the balance point on a longer bike is a bit trickier to find. I found out the hard way at the Oregon Dunes at about 50 mph when it came over backwards and rather than hit the grab bar as it would've on a stocker, it just kept coming until the back of my head hit the sand. I've long since given up quads and love to wheelie my CRF450, it's got smooth power and loads of torque so it'll come up with ease. In fact, I gave my four year old son a ride a while back and with him on the front hanging onto the tank, it came up with ease. Of course, my wife chewed my ass later, but my son loved it...

I think the 450 is great for wheelies. But street bikes are better for stoppies 🙂

and my trick for doing wheelies was using the rear brake when I got in trouble (plus a couple of fenders 🙂 )

The guy in that video is amazing! How does he keep the front wheel so high w/o looping out? That is just sick!

the video was sick. Where did he get that sproket. Damn

Oh man, my bro bought a 350x and brought it out to the dunes this year... talk about a wheelie machine!

We rode it around with an open faced helmet with a 'fro wig and some old school goggles i got at a thrift store. People were taking photos of us doin wheelies... and fallin off the back 🙂 musta thought it was ron jeremy or somethin.

-J

350x.jpg

(big photo - 1.3mb)

I can wheelie pretty good on my crf or should I say I use to wheelie pretty good.I have not been back out scince I broke me back doing a wheelie.

Actully it happend just as I was starting to do a wheelie.

I was getting so confident in doing wheelies that I would do wheelies in the dunes around the bowls.I never really rode in the desert untill just this last riding season.The first couple times I went with my knoby and I just thought it was ok riding but then when I went to the more softer sand where there was no hard pack I put on a paddle tire and I was now joe wheelie I thought.

When I broke me back it seemed like I must of not been thinking and gassed

it and pulled up way to hard,it was kinda dumb cause with the paddle you do not even really pull up.when I went to hit the brakes they did'nt do nothing

being in the really soft sand.I figured falling in the sand would not be that bad

but now after this happend I think with this kinda fall it is worse in the soft sand.I think going straight on my butt the sand formed my but and packed around it.It seems like looping it on harder dirt at least there would most likley be a little sliding taking some of the impact away.Yes it would still hurt but may be not a broken back.

Yes this bike is the best bike I have ever ridden for wheelies too. It's almost as if you gas it and just hold it and it will find it's own balance point. Very smooth and predictable. I can hold them for a few gears but the funnest ones are when you hit 5th gear pinned and stand up and pull up on the bars. I can hold it until I usually run out of real estate. Not many other bikes have I been able to ride 5th gear wheelies for that long on. Even my WR400. It had the power and torque but was no where near as balanced and docile as my CRF. I swear after every ride on this bike I say to myself 10 times or so "I love that bike". And it's an 04 so I could imagine the 05's are even better. Maybe next year....

Wheelies are a blast! When I was growing up I looked up to Doug Domokos, the wheelie king! I can wheelie all the way around a supercross track without putting the front end down! I have been able to do this since about 16, I am now 39 and 3/4. I love to wheelie, just ask all my neighbors,lol.

Flyn Ryan Menke 82b

Happy fourth of july everyone!

My 650L is the best wheelie machine ever for me. I can wheelie changing gears and around curves. My favorite thing is to pass my dad and brother on their Harley's going about 55-60mph in a wheelie. I ride so far the front wheel stops spinning and by the time I run through fourth gear I am going about 85mph. The front tire wheel slide for about 5 feet leaving a plume of smoke and a cool little black mark. 🙂

You need to be careful with that 85 mph stuff! It is also good to learn the balancing point so you dont have to go faster to keep the front end up. Try just riding around on a wheelie without flipping using rear brake.

Flyn Ryan Menke