Sign in to follow this  

How do you front brake while going through turn?

Hi,

if you want to have some front brake while going through a turn to get some extra grip, how do you make it work. In my opinion it is very hard to give accelerate and brake at the same time.

Any trix?

Thanks,

Per

Pointer finger on the front brake lever. It just takes practice to get it right.

Just slightly drag it, ya use index finger. Takes a little getting used to.

This is a technique I have not tried, does it really work, and does it make a noticable difference?

yes, it helps most when your in ruts tho, or off a berm

Kinda it not that big of a deal really, but if your really having problems staying in a rut then sometimes it will hepl you. At first it will probely make you slower cause your thinking about your front brake and not 100% thru the turn.

Hi,

In my opinion it is very hard to give accelerate and brake at the same time.

Per

Yes, much like whipping and riding wheelies, it is a difficult skill to learn. Ease into this technique, and be careful when traction is limited. I practice this on my mountain bike, too (with brake levers switched so the reflex carries over to my motorcycle).

the front brake slide into corners is a difficult technique and if you find it too hard just get your braking done a little earlier so you are accerlating in the corner not braking

I havn't tried this technique yet. Ill have to try it the next time I go out. Seems kinda scary.

Yes, much like whipping and riding wheelies, it is a difficult skill to learn. Ease into this technique, and be careful when traction is limited. I practice this on my mountain bike, too (with brake levers switched so the reflex carries over to my motorcycle).

i do the same thing

I do it all the time on a hard surfaced berm, I started doing it after 101 tips from the pros at transworld motocross.

this technique is stupid, how could that make you faster, don't worry about even trying it. If you want to corner faster get your weight over the front and weight the outside peg (unless you are in ruts)

me too.

this technique is stupid, how could that make you faster, don't worry about even trying it. If you want to corner faster get your weight over the front and weight the outside peg (unless you are in ruts)

What you are describing is only what Gary Semics calls the 'exit dex' to the corner, not the whole enchilada!

:eek: Maybe you aren't aware of it, but try telling Ricky, Chad, Bubba, et al that the technique of applying the front brake while turning is stupid. If you have a good dvr or vcr with slow motion, play a pro's entrance into bowl turns in sx. One or both brakes are applied to scrub their high speed to the apex and to keep the front wheel tracking. Sometimes they will even drag the front brake (mostly on right hand, bermed turns) through the apex while on the gas (lightly, of course). Always on the gas or brakes, no coasting. :applause:

Its done mainly to compress the front suspension and thus making the bikes geometry better for turning. Its like having your forks set 3 inches through the top of your tripple clamps. You can only use this technique when grip is adequate like in a rut, on a burm or in beautful loam.

The downward pressure on the front end helps hold the front wheel in the rut rather than it riding up the side of the rut.

I use the middle finger, it is longer and makes a cool picture

When you go into a corner and jab the front brake hard, what does the front wheel do? It tucks into the corner and then washes. Apply this same technique but in a smooth fashion and it will cause the bike to turn sharper and quicker in rutted or tight corners. It still works if your not on the gas so you can practice it without fear or lack of coordination.

I use the middle finger, it is longer and makes a cool picture

Best comment today! :D