Sign in to follow this  

While I'm in there...

No this one does not belong in the TS.

As many of you have been reading I am in the process of replacing my shift shaft in my xr4. After a lot of work trying to remove my swingarm bolt (it is a few hours from being done), I will be starting into my engine this weekend.

My question has to do with my kickstarter. Every once in a while, when I kick it over the kickstarter skips. Will it be evident that something is wrong with the gears for the kickstarter as I am going through splitting the case? Can a "small" problem (if it is a problem) like this cause larger problems? Are there certain things that I can keep an eye out for while I'm in there, that would indicate other problems? I do not want to do a complete disassembly, but rather take it apart and put it back together as quickly as possible. I haven't been riding in over two months. 🙂

MHR

My question has to do with my kickstarter. Every once in a while, when I kick it over the kickstarter skips. Will it be evident that something is wrong with the gears for the kickstarter as I am going through splitting the case? Can a "small" problem (if it is a problem) like this cause larger problems?

MHR

If you're kick starter gearing is missing a tooth or two that might cause that problem. Where are the missing teeth? Maybe in a benign place where they can't hurt you, maybe not .... check this thread for where they MIGHT go!

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265736&parentpage=2

I dont yet know that anything is missing teeth. I haven't cracked the case yet, but I guess it is going to be a case of fixin it when I find it.

Just looking for pointers. Maybe I am observant enough to see everything, but I doubt it.

Good link though. Shows what can happen, and I will be glad to find anything before it shoots anything out of the case.

MHR

if the the kick starter gear is missing teeth you will be able to see it with no problem. i beleive this gear meshes with the driven gear on the clutch. you will be able to tell once you have the right case cover off. to see these components you don't need to split the case, although to replace you shift shaft you do.

don't be too worried about spliting the case. i did it a couple years back in my bedroom. i was amazed how simple the entire tranny design is and how simple the entire process was.

i would recommend having the factory service manual.

Yes what mrscullini said manuel for sure. I also used a camcorder and recorded the process to aid in reassembly.

BTW I have a brand new shift shaft (maybe 3 rides on it) and any internal componets you might need