Sign in to follow this  

primary drive brand sprocket and chain

anyone have anything good or bad to say about the brand from rockymountainmc

I haven't replaced mine on my XR yet. However I did use the primary drive chain and sprocket package on my TTR. The sprockets were good but the chain stretched like hot laffy taffy. I would say if you want to save money get their sprockets and a good chain. Oh yeah, a good point would be the chain I got from them was non oring, so that also speed up the wear.

i use their steel sprockets (front and rear) on my 300 and 250 2-strokes. i am quite pleased with them. i get about 4,000 miles of hard trailriding and enduro and dezert racing from them. i also have a primary drive o-ring chain on one bike. it seems to be holding up just as well as the DID on the other bike. good stuff i say.

thanks, if it lasts a on a 250 and 300 2 stroke it should last on my xr400. does your o-ring have openings on the side plates. that makes me nervous. The o-ring chain seems nice and light but was just wondering about the strength.

I put the steel sprockets and X ring chain on mine about a year and a half ago and it has worn quite well. I ride mine pretty hard in the Pennsylvania mountains and I weigh close to 250 w/o gear so I'm putting a load on it. I won't hesitate to buy Primary Drive again.

I bought a PD sprocket and chain kit and have been happy with the rear sprocket and the chain. But the front sprocket did not quite fit - the two locating holes were slightly mis-drilled and I would have had to file them to where they would be elongated. I just put the old one back on as it wasn't really worn. Kinda pissed that it didn't work right out of the box. 🙂

The 520 PD X-ring chain doesn't have holes in the links and looks like a normal chain, I've seen somewhere on this forum that someone said that Rocky Mtn. said that they are made by DID. I don't know if thats true but their chains do seem pretty good (I use them) , I don't really like their sprockets though. I like renthal on the front and JT or Sunstar on the back.

Joel

yeah, i've been using thier steel sprockets and o-ring chains. the stuff is very good, rarely have not adjust for chain stretch.

save a pile of cash too

I use the PD sprockets and will keep using them. Never have used the chains.

good bargain, mine have lasted over a year, I got the o-ring with the self cleaning holes in the chain sidewalls....I will agree that the counter shaft sprocket was not perfectly drilled, and just barely fit.....Should counter shaft sprockets have a little play side to side? (not in the rotation direction, the on-off direction?) I also use the PD chain lube, which is a very good value. 🙂🙂

I use the PD 520/110 Gold XRING and have had good luck so far. Steel sprockets front and rear are the way to go, especially if ridding in a lot of mud. The front drive sprocket does have some play, which is normal. 🙂

im using a pd rear sprocket on my zuki rm125, i ride in alot of sand..its holdin up good