Sign in to follow this  

Nobody Knows What MasterLink I need???

I'm looking to remove two links from the stock chain.... I have a 41T Sprocket that I got from the TT Store.....

I went to 4 different Suzuki Dealerships, and NONE OF THEM HAVE A MASTER LINK!!!!

What's the deal - they said the stock chain is JUNK, and to not attempt to remove the links...

They were unsure of the brand of chain that comes stock, and if a master link would work.. Said something about the master link they have is for a chain with a THICKER "Plate Thickness"

So- I have to bring the chain into them to get the link?

Does anyone know which brand and masterlink to get?

He was trying to sell me a new 112 chain with a new master link - I need 110!!!

I was wondering the same thing. My chain is brand new. It would be easy to take two links out but wasn't sure what master to use.

I havnt decided for sure yet but I might cut to the chase and try the 15/38 combo. If I can find a 38.

It is an endless chain. And also not a very good one at that. I haven't heard of the master link to use to reattach it if you break it for whatever reason. Burned will know for sure but given the dubious quality of stock parts I'd just replace it and use it as a back up with the stock, or stock size sprockets.

I'm simply trying to avoid buying two chains - I can justify buying a longer chain so I can run 15/47 or 15/49, but I would like to use the stock chain (shortened) for the 15/41 for the Highway....

This way - all I need to buy is a 114? Length chain for the 15-47 or 49 Dirt Setup??

Again - any help is appreciated. 🙂

I believe I have 112 links on mine and I use a 14/48 combo. I believe it would allow for a 15 css but not sure about going to a 49 rear. It is just before the 1 on the adjustment as it is.

Are you using two different rear rims then? If not I'd just go from a 15 to a 13 css for the difference you are looking at. It'd be a lot easier to use one chain then.

Hmmm - That's an idea.. And cheaper too!!

Let me see here:

Stock 15/44= 2.93

Street 15/41= 2.73

13/41= 3.15

14/44= 3.14

15/47= 3.13

Reference:

15/49= 3.26

13/44= 3.38

So - it appears that I could use a 13/41 and that is almost the same as 15/47 or a 14/44...

Question is - which setup can I use ONE CHAIN?

Or - Heck - I'll buy ONE 13T Countersprocket and ONE NEW CHAIN of any length (110??) if it will do both.

This way - all I would have to do is replace the countersprocket when I want to go in the dirt.

13/41 for Dirt and 15/41 for Street - SAME CHAIN???

Would running a 13/41 put additional stress on anything in the dirt?

With that combo one chain could easily be made to work and with plenty of adjustability on both combinations. Not sure about the number of links though, most chains are sold in one length and you shorten to your desired length. I think 116 is the standard length, at least when I buy a chain it is usually that way. I think I have seen some chains sold by the link so it may save a few pennies to do it that way. 🙂

Damn - I'm still confused - I called the dealer and they also said that 13/41 is a HUGE difference from 15/44 - He recommended at 14/41 setup... Problem with that is its the SAME as stock!!!

Looks like I have to buy a 112 chain with a master link, and remove whatever extra links necessary for 15/41 - probably 110...

Then I'll have to buy the appropriate countersprocket that will still allow for the correct adjustability...

I just wish there was an EXACT way to figure it out.. I'm hoping that a 14T countersprocket and new 110 length chain will work for dirt also... If not - I'll buy the appropriate sprocket in the rear also..

Or just run the stock chain..

As for the masterlink - you have to order it from Suzuki...

Does anyone know which brand and masterlink to get?

I just bought what I believe you're looking for from rockymountainatv.com:

last item at the bottom of the page.

http://rockymountainatv.com/Product_Show.atv?cat=CH&type=CHAIN&name=RK+520+X%2DRING+Chain

I also ordered a 110 link chain for my supermoto setup (15/41) - assuming my wheels ever arrive - I'm just going to break the stocker and use the master link to go back to the 47 dirt wheels as necessary.

you need the master for rk xring 520

That is correct

I'm sure your dealer makes more money on a rear sprocket than the counter shaft one 🙂

(((As for the masterlink - you have to order it from Suzuki...)))

Do you have a cycle gear store near you , they have an excellent selection of labeled master links.

When going for master link for stock chain don't tell them what bike it's for , just have them look in their master link box for RK xring 520 master link.

OK - I'm just trying to decide what new chain to buy - I think I'll Buy a GOOD new 110 chain for the street setup 15/41.. Since I do a LOT more highway miles than I do dirt..

For the dirt/baja - Use the stock chain, 14T countersprocket and and stock 44T sprocket for Baja - maybe even a 45, 46 or 47 depending on what I can fit it in there.

Almost figuring it out.. I guess there really isn't a FOR SURE way - you gotta try different sprockets, chain lengths and find the correct sizes by experimentation...

At least I've decided that I'm going to buy a STREET CHAIN...

Hopefully - the stock one isn't too worn also - 6,000 miles already.

MSR regina oring OSR, it quiet abit beefier(heavier) than stock chain comes with master clip and rivetclip. It's a super smooth running chain.

The DID is simlar to stock chain, But maybe better quality

If you want a good chain go with the MSR regina, or a direct regina product with 2.2 mm inner and outer plates..

I've got 7,000 miles on mine , 1 click of snail adjustment at 1500 miles(street ridden)

Good info ! Makes perfect sense. the chain says RK on it and I could see that it didnt have regular o rings. you can see the little grooves in them.

I didnt know what an x ring chain was untill now.

Yep, I think you're right Spud...Don't see why that won't work with the OEM chain. I thought the OEM chain was pretty good...over 4k worth and changed it because I changed sprockets. There was not a thing wrong with it either.... 🙂

Okay... I'm a real newbie, so can you check me on this?

2005 DR-Z 400S (stock, but not for long -- 3 X 3, DJ, Burned in the next week or so). I'm okay with the stock 15/44 ratio on the street, but was contemplating a 14/47 for off-road. Could I use the same (110, right) chain for both?