Sign in to follow this  

Could anyone help me with a '91 yz80?

I know that I'm in a mini thumper forum but I always find the info I need here, so here goes.

I need the values for the coil, stator and cdi box for this little piece of crap. I call the Yamaha dealer and a "service tech 🙂 " won't tell me these numbers and instead he says " they've all gone to peak voltage so you need a more complicated piece of test equipment to check it." &%$#@!!! They wonder why people hate dealerships so much.

So if someone has a manual for this year of similar, I would appreciate it greatly.

Jay

The reason he wont tell is because his family wont eat if he gives you all the information that cost him alot of money to have. Just buy a YAMAHA manual because chances are this probley wont be your only problem with this bike.

Thanks for the advice youngr 🙂

I have searched the web and cannot find a factory or aftermarket service manual for this thing.

You can get it on Yamaha's site. Probably cost $50 bucks though.

Try searching eBay for one. There are plenty of manuals on that site for everything. It's just a matter of finding the right one.

find one. they're around the net somewhere.

Wasnt trying to be a d!ck, trying to keep you from wasting your time running and looking like a moron running to the dealer or asking someone on the net whats wrong with your pile when its all in print in the workshop manual. Dont tell me theyre not out there either. Just buck up and do what everybody else does and buy one. The dealer is not responsible for your ignorance, your lucky they acnowledged your being with a question so dumb. If you cant find one let me know and I will sell you one when i get to the shop on tuesday.

Wasnt trying to be a d!ck, trying to keep you from wasting your time running and looking like a moron running to the dealer or asking someone on the net whats wrong with your pile when its all in print in the workshop manual. Dont tell me theyre not out there either. Just buck up and do what everybody else does and buy one. The dealer is not responsible for your ignorance, your lucky they acnowledged your being with a question so dumb. If you cant find one let me know and I will sell you one when i get to the shop on tuesday.

Jeez..I think he was just messing around...at least form my point of view

ebay probably has one and it will most likely be a lot cheaper then a dealer.just make sure you get the right one and not some cheap ass cd

Just out of curiosity, why do feel it is important to know the values? If you not getting fire at your plug, know this some what useless info and will be of no help. In all my years of riding I have yet to have a coil go bad or a CDI box. I have had one stator go south on my '76 YZ100. Even when I worked as a bike mechanic, I had never ohm ed out a coil, stator or CDI box. I have seen voltage regulator and rectifiers go south, but you're not dealing with either.

🙂 Ignition timing= 0.79 BTDC 15.1 degrees BTDC@11500 rpm

ignition coil test gap/primary ohms/secondary ohms= 6mm/ 0.29ohms +-15% /4K ohms +- 15%

pulser coil or pickup coil color code/ohms= wht,grn~wht,red / 10.4 ohms +-10%

source coil color code/ohms= brn~blk / 505ohms +- 10%

Getting a lot of help for a 2-stroke at a 4-stroke site.

🙂 Maybe they should add two strokes.

Thanks youngr, I know you had a cool side since you got Evil as your avatar. 🙂

I work at a small shop (ok, I own it) and I am not afraid to buy a manual if I think I will use it for more than five minutes. In this case, if I could have located a manual, I would have urged the customer to buy it but that usually doesn't go over so well. In this rural part of NC, people buy these junkers for $50 and don't want to spend any more on them so I will probably find that the stator is dead, tell the guy the price for a new one and he will say "dang, nevermind."

Back to the manual thing: I always go to repairmanuals.com and they list every aftermarket and oem manual for the model I'm looking for. Since they had nothing for this roach, I thought I was screwed.

I hope this bike doesn't run ever again as someone has removed the front brake caliper. I told the owner about it and he says " the boy was stopping just fine like it is." 🙂

Thanks,

Jay

I have a quick question, its not on the topic of the stator, but how is the suspension on that bike (if youve sat on it)

I was thinking the same thing that you are: swap in a xr motor.

I doubt the forks or shock have seen any oil in a long time (boingy boingy boingy).

Ill say this as nice as possible.Being in the business I would think that you would be the last person to bash a dealership. I work at a dealer and it drives me crazy when people get mad all the time. If they gave you that info you would fix it yourself and be on your way, but if they didnt you would have to load it up and pay them to do it, which is why they opened a business to start with. You dont go to your local pizza joint and ask for the secret recipes, then you would make it yourself and never support them ever again. Same concept. Most places probley would tell you the info you needed,but dont get mad when they dont. The shop is just trying to make a living like anyone else. I know its stupid to buy a manual for 5 minutes but the shop probley doesnt use that manual all that much anyways. And they paid for it just like you. Oh and I didnt even use a manual for that...it said it on the fische. But anyways i hope those figures helped you.