How many of you always know what gear you are in?

How mny of you know what gear you are in at all times?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. How mny of you know what gear you are in at all times?

• Yes, I always know what gear I am in.
    • No, I never pay attention.
    • I somewhat know.
    • I am always in Thor gear because it was on sale.

How many of you know what gear you are in at all times? I do. I can tell you if a jump is 3rd gear 3/4 throttle or 3 rd pinned, 4th gear etc. I have firends that always know what gear they are in as well. I also have friends that never pay any attention to what gear they are in. If it is revving...they shift. If it is lugging....they down shift. If you ask them what gear they hit a certain obstacle in...they don't know.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when i just had gone from a 230 to a 250... I would do a lap accidentaly in 2nd thinking i was in 3rd and when in 3rd thinking i was 4th... Then I would just for kicks go all the way down and realize i was in 2nd... I didnt tihnk i was hitting some of those jumps in 4th when i was in third

I don't always know what gear I am in, but I do always know that I am in the gear I need.
Sometimes you know you were not in the gear that you needed.

Last Saturday I bumped my kickstarter and it started the growling thing. I was using my foot to boot it back into place when I realized, coming to a real steep dip that I needed to kick it up a gear (It's a muddy, slick, clay dip and I was in 1st crawling along while screwing with the kickstarter). As I started down into the dip I clicked it up to 2nd and hit neutral. Next thing I know I'm stradling the dip (front tire on one side, back tire on the other) and my feet are 2' off the ground. Over I went.

I've found I much prefer being in a gear too high for the questionable situations with the ability to just stab the shifter down to the next lower gear (no clutch) if needed.

As I started down into the dip I clicked it up to 2nd and hit neutral. Next thing I know I'm stradling the dip (front tire on one side, back tire on the other) and my feet are 2' off the ground. Over I went.

Man, I hate when that happens. I had a similar episode a few weeks ago... except the guy behind me ran my ass over. ??:D

Man, I hate when that happens. I had a similar episode a few weeks ago... except the guy behind me ran my ass over. ??:D

I have my bike geared super low (12/50) so I don't have the 1-2 shift under normal riding. Around here I only see 6th gear infrequently for real short distances so it doesn't hinder me running that low.

I have my bike geared super low (12/50) so I don't have the 1-2 shift under normal riding. Around here I only see 6th gear infrequently for real short distances so it doesn't hinder me running that low.

Sounds like you're riding the REAL tight woods stuff.

I'm usually in the dez, so I'm geared fairly tall. Haulin' azz, a dip too wide to clear pops up, blow the shift, (either still too tall of a gear, or neutral) come to a dead stop, boots flail for the ground...plop.

A day in the life of Jawbone Rick... ?

I always know what gear I'm in. 2nd.

I only see first when I am at a dead stop. For the infrequent times I need third, it's such a change in the bikes engine sound, I KNOW I'm not in 2nd.

Long live the automatic (4 speed) gearbox!

i always know, i can just feel the power differences in each gear, but having said that knowing what gear you are in doesn't make you go faster you just need to know when to shift.
I wonder how many people really understand what awareness is?

Being aware of what you are doing, while you are doing it, without actually using conscious thought.

Unconscious incompetent, Conscious incompetent, Conscious competent, and Unconscious Competent.

IMHO: If someone asks you what gear you were in for that particular hill section or trail you should be able to think back and know, without having consciously thought about it while you were doing it.

Ever have a particular trail section or track section where something goes terribly wrong but somehow you came through it? You didn't think about all the things it took to make it come out ok while you were doing them but when you think back you can visualize every move you made?

IMHO: Knowing what gear you were or are in should fall into the realm of "unconscious competence".

Knowing what gear you are in, as far as I am concerned, is part of being one with the bike.
"Zen in the Martial Arts" by Joseph Hyams. "Zen in the Dirtbiking Art" by DethWshBkr