Sign in to follow this  

Chain Tension

I'm trying to adjust the chain tension on my 230 and i know how to do it but i can't losen the wheel! I've had 20 friends and relatives try and everything i fist tried with a ratchet...then a wrench but the wrench bent almost 90 degrees and now i don't know what to do...any advice on what tools to use and what not. its not that nobodys strong enough to losen the bolt.I seriously think its welded on.

I use a big Craftsmen Ratchet to take the bolt off. The bolt should only be torqued down to 80Foot Lbs. If It were me I would pop it off with an air gun.

-good luck

Try sticking a metal pipe on the end of the ratchet and loosen with that. It gives you loads more leverage. What i personally do is slam my foot on the ratchet to loosen it then tighten it back up with my torque wrench.

I would do what corparate avenger said about an airgun, it might be the best way if you bend your tools doing something different, its weird though, i just use a normal adjustable, then torque it back up.

You could attach the ratchet, have a brave person hold it in place, then come down hard on the ratchet handle with a crow bar. Works for me every time with hard to take off bolts.

Liquid Wrench is a great penetrating fluid that will cut the corrosion that is keeping you from loosening the bolt. Spray it on, let it set for a few minutes and lightly tap the bolt. The tapping allows the penetrant to seek out space with the vibration.

Spray some more, repeat tapping. Take the bolt off.

I use a big Craftsmen Ratchet to take the bolt off. The bolt should only be torqued down to 80Foot Lbs. If It were me I would pop it off with an air gun.

-good luck

wish I had an air gun, got the compressor, but no gun.....just use a pipe at the end of it man.

Liquid Wrench is a great penetrating fluid that will cut the corrosion that is keeping you from loosening the bolt. Spray it on, let it set for a few minutes and lightly tap the bolt. The tapping allows the penetrant to seek out space with the vibration.

Spray some more, repeat tapping. Take the bolt off.

That sounds like a good idea. 🙂